Friday, August 29

Victorians

I've mentioned the Victorians a few times, little facts that popped into my mind during our days. Such as how strict the schooling was and such. For no reason other than they were pieces of interesting information I knew that related to what we were doing or talking about at the time.

The last time I mentioned them, she picked up on it more and asked to learn about these Victorians.

---

History is not something I had planned to start for a little while. Partly due to her age and partly that I thought Science would be next in line as she is so interested in that. But as all our learning stems from interest, then I can't let it go.

---

So last Thursday we started with a book that was part of a History of Britain collection I had snapped up and was keeping aside until later.



Of course, children relate to other children, so discovering what life was like for Victorian children is fascinating to her. Both the poor children working in mines or up chimneys, as well as the wealthier ones with governesses.

We read through parts of the book together and she has picked it up several times to read on her own.
Friday we listened to radio drama clips of Victorian children - the wealthy Emily and a trapper boy.

The most amusing outcome of this learning is that she, my wild unschoolish child, has asked for Victorian Lessons. Well, mostly as play, but she has done writing exercises. The pages of her workbooks that I normally skip! Too funny.

We enjoyed, The Worst Jobs In History: Victorians
(not specifically for children, so parental guidance)
This BBC site has lots of wonderful bite-sized information, including a section all about children of the era.

We've covered children in work and at school. Would be fun to take a look at play and toys next, perhaps create some paper dolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.