Monday, June 2

self-directed

Miss6 has decided she doesn't want to do the Magic School Bus worksheets any more. Although she's happy to continue with the episodes.

She said she wants to learn eeeverything about sharks... and some related topics. She told me that I can give her anything about oceans.

So I've been busy trawling the Internet for everything Shark. Although I have done this anyway, now it's with a more focused and even more 'taking her seriously' attitude - she really loves them.

Although there are actually quite a bit of sharky themed lessons and ideas, it tends to be geared towards a younger set and is generally light in flavour - crafts and mini lapbooks. She's way passed all that.

My best find was Jonathan Bird's documentaries... or excerpts anyway.

Also found some worksheets - shark word search, shark true/false, that sort of thing. I have the feeling that I'll need to create this type of work myself... possibly taking templates from other resources and creating my own questions.

Her best find was discovering that our right-next-door neighbour is a marine biologist! She read it on his work t-shirt, I hadn't even noticed. It took no time for the shark passion to be shared and he's promised her posters and bits and pieces from work.

I know that she's still interested in several other topics though - reptiles especially snakes and lizards, human body, earth sciences.

...


Yesterday was the Dartington Food Fair. Miss6 tried shortbread, fudge, hibiscus tea, dark chocolate sea-salt caramel confectionery, and got her own hand-made pizza. And there was a pony ride too.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to have found your blog... thanks for visiting mine. It's always lovely to see how much fun other people are having home educating!

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.