Thursday, December 12

children's herbs

I've had the children's herbal for quite some time (yes, enthusiastic mama). I've left it sitting on her bookshelf, tucked away at the very end. This week she came across it and just started reading it on her own. On her first day she announced, "Mama, you could give me some black pepper for my cough!".

I just loved how she wasn't just reading the words but taking it in and picking up what was relevant for her at this moment.

It includes the expected facts, recipes, and illustrations, but also stories. She especially enjoys finding Mr Greenleaf (a herby gnome) hidden in the pages.

Of course, she has grown up with herbs as medicine. Without our own garden, not growing them herself. But of course we can try some pot herbs.




A friend reminded me of the Herbal Roots zine/course. She was enthusiastic at the suggestion of learning a herb a month. I've purchased 2 archive annual collections (I was lucky to get in on a 50% discount too!). I will pull out the pages most appropriate for her age. I want to keep it as organic as possible, so we will do songs, stories, poems, and the hands-on activities. The facts can come along the way.

Herbal Roots Zine



5 comments:

  1. Wow, thanks for sharing that book, going to look it up right now. Herbs are big around here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm giving her my own herbals, the highly visual ones, for her to peruse as well. But their own book with stories too, is really lovely for them.

      Delete
  2. So excited for my little one to read this book too! It is sold at our local herb shop, so I'm hoping to pick it up for her there in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is a good one. wish there was more herby stuff for children out there.

      Delete
  3. I will definitely be getting this! Im a homeopath and my kids regularly tell me what they need... or what I need :-)

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.