Monday, February 4

Currently...

Time I injected some words into this space.

The Pixie has come through a rough patch at school and all the children in her class seem to have found their groove. I hear certain names mentioned, about what they did, what they played. She has released anxieties. In her case, especially evident in not feeling she has to help, or monitor everything. When I asked her whether she served the snack recently, she shrugged and said - "I just want to eat."

Her reading is extraordinary. As she was growing out of picture books and the local library is small, I picked up some 'early reader' type books. Not for her to read, simply for their content. She ended up reading them on her own. Not only reads the words, but includes appropriate intonation on the second read through, and has full comprehension. We do no reading teaching at all, other than when she asks what a word is, I tell her. I believe she's reading fluently at age 6-7 (she's 4 3/4).

Just shows that you can't stop children learning when the desire is there! No need to shove it down their throats.
Her Steiner teacher is aware and is untroubled. In fact, she was impressed. I am glad we attend a more relaxed Steiner school. They certainly have their education principles, but they're flexible.

yoga - giant body book

She was insistent I teach her maths and so we have gone through the two hands and adding. She seemed satisfied with that. (I mean, leave something for Class 1!).

She is interested in the human body as much as ever. I gave her a human body 'toy' for Xmas, that she can dismember the rubbery organs, and she loves it.

Her current favourite book is Germs. Yep, still a body/health theme.... that's my Virgo Moon girl!


We're moving to a new apartment end of Feb. Going from 5mins to 20mins school run. Not ideal, but a very easy drive. And the place is situated right on the edge of Dartmoor and woodland walks, walking distance to library, swimming pool, and shops. As well as 20 mins from major city (museum, art galleries).

So much has occurred, for me, emotionally, in recent weeks, that I know this move mirrors and supports a brighter future.

7 comments:

  1. I used to get upset with well-intentioned family telling me I had to teach this or do that. always telling them they will learn when they're ready. and once they are, they absorb everything with so much excitement.

    on the edge of Dartmoor....oh goodness, Monica!!! I am so happy for you and your girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mon: So nice to hear how you and Miss 4 are doing.

    Your Pixie sounds so Bright! Love the picture of her doing yoga! Glad to hear that she has made it through a rough patch at school.

    Good luck on your upcoming move and wishing you and your family much happiness in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck for your move, I hope it goes smoothly. The more I hear about Steiner education the more intrigued I am. I'm so glad Miss 4 is enjoying school.

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hеllo theгe! Thіs blog poѕt could not be
    wгitten much better! Going through thіs article гeminds me of my ρrevious roommatе!
    He constаntly kеpt preaching abοut
    this. I will forward this pοst to him.
    Faiгly certain he's going to have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!
    My blog - 1 month loan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a joy for her, being able to read. Seeing you reading all the time must have been a big influence in her interest too. So glad to hear the school is flexible - the one size fits all and rigidity of Steiner approach is a huge turnoff for me, so interesting to hear its not like that necessarily in practice. Bloody hilarious that her fave book is Germs - not to undermine her or anything of course, respecting her interests is where its at. Oooh the moors.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that she took on reading on her own. My niece is like that, although she was reading at 2.5! Michael still just dabbles in it...just focused on other things now. He is interested in the human body too, I keep wondering if I should buy one of those "toys."

    ReplyDelete
  7. your little girl sounds rare and wonderful. lucky mama. :)
    good luck on your move.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.