Monday, August 13

her own bed

Monday 30th, Miss 4 decided, quite seemingly randomly, that she will sleep in her own bed. I thought that it could either be a disaster (for me), which is what happened about a month ago when I suggested it and we gave it a shot.... or it could be one of those times when she decides something and just does it. Obviously she was ready, because it went beautifully.

Second night, after less than a minute with the light out and her head down she said - 'mama, it's ok if children change their mind'. Apparently, pony (a new toy) told her she didn't want to sleep in her own bed. Something put her off.

The good thing about that, was that it established quite clearly what I needed. Of course there was that slight sadness of seeing her grow up, especially how easily she did it and without much need for pre-sleep cuddling! But when she wanted back in mine, I was disappointed. So that's clear!

her bed, surrounded by pillows, and Panda

3rd night, I used pony as the break-through.
Of course ponies don't sleep in beds! They sleep in stables. And standing up, she informed me. Silly us! So we made him a little stable out of a box, placed him well away from her bed, and she chose her first soft toy to sleep with (Mimi) and that was that.

Six nights now in her own bed - same room. I'm surprised at how quickly she drops off too. She always does but alone I thought she might need more time. I'm even more glad now that we never made going to bed a battle.

Her restlessness still disturbs my sleep (less so as I become accustomed to her being away from me) but now I can move without disturbing her and NO BEING KICKED! hoo-friggin-ray for that I can tell you.

I'm super happy I went with her needs and that she decided when she was ready. I miss her little bod next to mine, co-sleeping has been the best. But it was time.

5 comments:

  1. I've learned (and still am) through my little ones that things always seem to go better when they are ready themselves to make a transition, as opposed to forcing something that doesn't feel right or natural.

    Hooray for your little one taking such a big step. And hooray for you, mama, for some extra space in the bed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mon, huuuuuge transitions for both of you....I love this "Mama, it's okay for children to change their mind"--says so much about your relationship and her trust for you, and the way you encouraged her so gently....just beautiful....
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a fabulous transition for the both of you to be going through right now. When you let it happen when they're ready, the transition is so much easier. I don't know how many times that "saved me" with Aoife, no matter what people around me suggested I should do. And hipp hipp hooray to not getting kicked anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that most times the transitions are harder on Mamma than the little ones. Ha , well with me anyway. I always tried blaming it on mine even when they were ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice it went so smoothly. Michael is finally in his own bed most of the time now. It's just been gradual for him. When I had my kidney biopsy last year and got to sleep away from him for a couple of weeks, I didn't want to go back to it, even though I missed him there. It was too nice to have the space. I think that's when he started in his own bed, in our room, which he only slept in half the night. I wasn't thrilled about his deciding to move into his own room when he was 3.5, because I couldn't hear him, so I couldn't know if he was still alive unless I actually get up and go in there (yes, I still need to know he's breathing at night). He sleeps mostly in his own room now, but comes in for cuddles every morning. They sure do a lot of growing up around this age, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.