Thursday, December 1

reading round-up

I'm struggling to keep my posts up with her progress!

So, let's see. She learnt the full 42 sounds,

1. s, a, t, i, p, n
2. c/k, e, h, r, m, d
3. g, o, u, l, f, b
4. ai, j, oa, ie, ee, or
5. z, w, ng, v, oo, oo
6. y, x, ch, sh, th, th
7. qu, ou, oi, ue, er, ar

mostly by watching the CBeeBies DVDs. She's still learning to spot group 7 in words though, but we haven't concentrated on that yet. I suppose I better get my act together and print out some words focusing on those sounds.

She reads words such as ship, shop, post, chip, easily.

She wanted to write and really, her motor skills aren't fully developed at only 31/2. So I started her on pre-writing skills:
following a maze
tracing lines, squiggles, zigzags, holding pencil correctly

Then also understanding concepts like, before, between, different from, doesn't match, begins with, ends with, and such, for later understanding what is asked concerning letters in words.

She's played online alphabet and phonic games and listened to songs.

Yesterday she started using a wipe-clean book (love these!) to trace actual letters. She loves doing her 'work', just like mama and tata have work (daddy).



I bought the Jolly Phonics workbooks but, disappointedly, they're geared towards writing rather than reading. I was keeping them for later but she wanted to do them. So today she traced S, and did well but is unable to write her own S yet. I'm a little concerned that she'll get discouraged if unable to write, but she doesn't seem at all put off. I think as long as I give her letters to trace rather than try writing on her own.

Reading Lesson: Teach Your Child to Read in 20 Easy Lessons, arrived a couple of days ago, which is very clearly set out and I recommend. However, she's way passed it already. I thought it was going to be more complex than it is. Very much a starting book. I can make use of the final lessons at least.

In other news... for some reason (possibly hearing others around her speak) she has started to ask, 'what is the Serbian word for x' (daddy's mother-tongue and the language spoken where we live currently). Spanish has taken a bit of a backseat.

She's also enjoying art - painting, colouring, glueing - more than ever.She prefers just to paint splashes of colour rather than actual pictures.


3 comments:

  1. look at her go! by winter's end she'll be doing little books...it's interesting, once she is reading, I think you are suddenly going to have TIME, that precious asset...it sounds like she is a very verbal/written word kid, so she is going to immerse herself in books within a few years...sit by your side as you work and read...my eldest is like this (as I was as a kid, I'm sure you were too...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet -- watch her go! The recommendations for all you linked to looked great! Might have to check those out. :)

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.