Saturday, February 19

lazy shortbread cookies

If you come visiting and fancy bringing me a little something, then authentic Scottish shortbread cookies will assure you of my undying love. Just saying.




Ingredients

2 cups flour (plain, all-purpose)
1 cup barely softened butter
1/2 cup caster sugar *
couple pinches of salt **
1 tsp vanilla essence ***


Method

  1. Cream the butter.
    Takes me about a minute and I just use a fork.
  2. Add the sugar and cream together.
  3. Add vanilla and mix through.
  4. Add flour + salt mixture.
  5. Mix well but don't overdo it.
  6. Push dough into a rough log shape.
  7. Place onto a piece of plastic wrap, wrap up and roll into a log the thickness of the cookies you want.
    The plastic makes the rolling super easy, plus it's where you'll keep it in the fridge.
  8. Wrap well and place onto your baking tray and into fridge for 30 mins.
  9. Slice into 1/2cm cookies, place on tray and then pop back into the fridge for 15mins.
    Not necessary if you're making these for yourself the family and don't care about them holding their shape. Essential if the Queen is popping 'round or you've rolled the dough and cut into shapes.
  10. Bake for 8-12 mins at 175C (350F).
    They're supposed to remain pale.
  11. While still warm, randomly prick the tops with a fork.

* normal sugar is fine, but caster gives a better mouth feel.
** I use slightly salted butter, so don't even need to add the salt. See, lazy.
*** Almond or orange essence work well too.


as you can see, I tend towards the rustic.

On a damp and overcast day, these were perfect for cozying up.

Have a great weekend. See you in a week.

14 comments:

  1. I remember my husband and I ate these authentic Scottish shortbread cookies during our long hikes in the UK. They are yummy! Your skinny version of Scottish shortbread cookies looks even more attractive.
    Enjoy!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~can i come over for a visit...i'll bring the tea...for two...or possible three if a wee little wants to join along...this recipe sounds amazingly comforting and delicetable on a cool winters day...haven't had shortbread in years...thank you so for sharing...much love light and blessings always shining brightly upon you and yours~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Order of things done....
    See post, read post, like recipe, try recipe, eat biscuits, eat lots and lots of biscuits, go for walk to burn off biscuits, come home, try one or two left on plate, blog about recipe and eating and walking, a good day!!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm..even the pics look edible:)
    have got all these ingredients in...guess what i'm off to do?..... thanks.

    enjoy! have a good one.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. you've made me chuckle out loud Hawthorn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum-joy! Was just looking online to see if there was such a thing as a zucchini cookie (after watching Top Chef with Sesame Street's Cookie Monster as a guest. Postponing that search, found the cookies I'll be making today! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my word, those look so good! If only I hadn't already eaten a pound and a half of chocolates this week...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah indeedy! Scottish shortbread - you're a woman after my own heart. There's nothin' like it. These have my mouth watering. I'll definitely give 'em a go, because I love a lazy recipe. My life is made up of lazy recipes. I love eating just a bit more than I love cooking...hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so so nice, will have to try these soon...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you thank you thank you for this! My boyfriend is a shortbread fanatic (and I am a fanatic for simplicity in the kitchen) so I'll definitely give these a try before the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVe those cookies...they look delicious.

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm my mouth is watering! Totally giggled at "Essential if the Queen is popping 'round" :P This is going on my list of things to bake soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Update: I made these yesterday and they are as easy and delicious as they sound! Will be keeping this recipe in my file - it is a new favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I'm all homesick again. I want me mam's shortbread and her mam's tattie scones...

    I guess I'll have to whip up a batch to help stave off the 'I miss the Northern Hemisphere (sometimes) Blues'.

    Yumm.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.