for anyone who is filled to the brim with ideas and life enthusiasm, you'll understand that this process is not an easy one. there is a lot of internal clinging.
some situations are totally emotional - but this is so much fun! and that could be so useful... one day.
these ones are of course difficult, but as they're clearly clinging, they can be dealt with by a determined declutterer.
others are trickier. like when you feel, or know, that cutting of or releasing effects others. will i be letting a whole bunch of people down? will they be disappointed? will so-and-so feel rejected? will they think i'm flaky or flighty or fickle? (don't ask me why they're all F words)
so the trickier ones require some willingness to be ruthless, or, to allow a natural unfolding of what will be, rather than force anything.
i always say - when in doubt, wait to decide.
but on the productive side, i have decluttered very well.
- i have a pile of books to take back to UK when we visit (charity shops/thrift stores).
- my feed reader was reduced just this past week from 167 feeds down to 121. (one of the tricky ones)
- i re-organised bohemian shadows to be more of a portfolio than a blog, although it still has a blogging area. it means i feel less obligation to follow or comment on other arty blogs, and less guilt if i don't.
- i'm slogging through the indescribably large number of bookmarks/favourites. deleting, deleting....
- on an almost daily basis i'm choosing to not follow a new interest or idea or bit of info.
it's about giving up even what is enjoyable, on the surface, for the sake of simplicity. Fact is, i find an infinite number of things enjoyable.... or feel i ought to do, or learn, or read, or.....
it's all about bringing in space to make room to then be filled by the top priorities, whatever they may be for each of us. as well as to leave some of that space unfilled.
phew.... how many of us struggle with that?
thing is, the deepest connections, the most healing self-awareness, and the height of creativity, actually happen in that unfilled space.
being filled to the brim is not the same as a full life.
i'm slowly allowing this learning to take firmer shape.