Wednesday, July 28

life, bread, and art

i have a couple of 'deep' discussions to share with you all, but it's either hot, storming, or i'm busy with the in-laws.

we're having a nice time though. popped into dubrovnik, croatia, with them yesterday. pizza, ice-cream, and no camera...

i haven't baked in ages, since hot weather makes me steer clear of the oven. but i made some cornbread for guests and discovered that my father-in-law loves the stuff. so have rolled out a few versions of that. as soon as the temp dropped with these storms, i start hankering for baked goods.

so in lieu of some juicy chats, here's a recipe..... i've no idea what makes for an official british scone or american biscuit, but i think this is something like both. it's stems from a brain full of countless similar recipes.



2 cups/250g flour (plain/all purpose)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2-1 tsp garlic powder
about 80g cold butter, cut into cubes
2 Tbsp of vegetable oil
1 cup/150g grated cheese (sharp/mature flavour is great, like british cheddar. but we don't get that here in montenegro. i found that i milder but tangy flavoured cheese worked nicely)
1/2 cup/120ml milk

heat your oven 400F/200C

1. mix dry ingredients well
2. add cubes of butter, break down with fork or cool fingers, coarse texture is great
3. add cheese and oil and mix well
4. add milk in bits. you want to add just enough to moisten it and have it all hold together well. if it's sticky it's too wet. don't over mix.
5. drop heaped tablespoons onto a stick proof (okay, completely forgot the right term) cookie sheet type contraption.

bake for 15mins, or until nicely golden.

i milled cracked black pepper on top after dropping onto the sheet. just sounded yummy to me. it worked. herbs or brushed melted butter could be nice too.

now i have no idea what they're supposed to be like, as it's just made up really. but mine are lightly crispy on the outside, and light and fluffy on the inside. gorgeous warm... i'll let you know what they're like cooled.

did you know that sarah is sharing her photography with us?


 i'll be offering my own art for sale soonish... might as well be brave with this, right?


oh, and does anyone recognise what fruit this might be? they're a small couple of centimetres. sweet with a tang.



15 comments:

  1. These look great Mon. Looking forward to seeing more of your art. I'm trying to muster up my courage as well. No time like the present...right? -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the shout-out :-) I am so pleased you're getting closer to selling your art. That's wonderful!

    the scones look delicious. Cheese scones are my favourite but then again you cant have them with jam and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please offer up the art for sales AFTER I've selected my piece? Just kidding! You know how proud of you I am right? And not in the "motherly" sense, but in the "way to go" sense. I can't wait for (mainly Ted) to get his eyes on your stuff. It will likely be him that picks up our treasure to take home as he has "the eye". Only a few short weeks and I WILL be stepping over your threshold my dear friend. Can't wait! xoxoxo ps. I know what those fruits are but I'll let others guess :-) pps. Holy fn' biscuits batman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and you just love to tease don't you? You know I'm dying a little inside wondering what's up with the deep discussions? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh jenn! i don't even have varnish yet! lmao... better get cracking...

    thanks debbie, go for it... it's just one life i say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Empty walls here...let me know when the art comes up for sale. I am serious. I will give you the stink eye, if you don't. ha. And, after Dylan's toddler days, I am well-versed in stink eye...

    I've been baking banana bread today, and thinking, why is my kitchen inside this house? My lovely former cajun step-mom had an outdoor kitchen. A small little housey structure that was all kitchen. Those Louisiana ladies were smart. This heat is unbearable...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your fruit could possibly be a greengage - related to a plum. Your recipe sounds yum! got school hols here now, think I might be trying that one out
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That recipe sounds so good... I'm going to be trying that soon. The heat has me out of the kitchen for now, but I'm longing to bake again. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh...biscuits! I have no idea why anyone would buy biscuit mix. Those look phenomenal. As for those lovely fruits, I've been over-dosing on my very own bowl full here in the US. Bought a huge bag of those tart creatures at the farmers' market and believe they are called Mirabelle plums. Check out this recipe from a friend of mine: http://plumtasty.blogspot.com/2010/07/sweet-tart.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. What are they? Plums? yellow flesh plums are so good. Or Cape Gooseberries?
    Those scones look grand. Perfect for our kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd go with Ruth - look like wild plums to me. We've got some similar-looking ones, though ours have a tinge of pinkish-orange to them. Gorgeous to eat, though, and they make excellent jam.

    Yay! on the art for sale - sounds like good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. pretty positive that those little guys are plums...

    Scones looking very good from where I'm sitting : ) *drool*

    And yay about selling your art! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooh, I'm eager for some 'deep discussions'...I have nothing going on at my blog right now!

    Those biscuits look so good, I may just have to try them!

    And yes, yay about selling your art! You really do make beautiful art, Mon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Had to pop over from my reader and find out what kind of fruit that might be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those "biscones" look divine! I can almost smell them from the picture! I'll have to try out the recipe! Yum!

    So what is the fruit? :)
    Cheers!
    Alexis

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.