Monday, February 8

My First Signs



My First Signs, Annie Kubler
Suggested age: baby-3yrs

This is a large board book with fun illustrations that are easy to understand. It includes over 40 basic words.

I bought this one to help me in ideas for signs. I chose it because unlike books for adults, I thought that baby could enjoy it as well.

I didn't use it much though. Partly that was down to the Wildflower deciding to speak early. Yet some of the signs were just too difficult to perform for a very young child (under a year old). Still, it could trigger your own imagination if you've been stuck.

If you're interested in any sign that your child finds useful, then the signs used will be fine. If however, you are interested in formal sign language specifically, then please note that this one uses BSL, British Sign Language.



I did the right thing in buying a child-orientated book. Not only because I didn't use it much but also because an adult book would have been superfluous (you can find enough baby signing info online) and why not get a 2-for-1, if baby can enjoy the illustrations as well?

At 16 months, she still flicked through it on occassion. Like most babies, she loves pictures of other babies. And there are plenty of other objects like a cat, car, and bathtub.

It's not a necessary book, but if you're really interested in signs it's a nice one.

10 comments:

  1. I've got this one. I did some baby signing classes with Aoife based on BSL. We learned the signs at class, and used this book to help start conversations or to remind us how to make signs we didn't use regularly. Wasn't in daily use though and is now relegated to the back of her bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are just loving signing with Aellyn. We'll have to pick this up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used sing and sign, and some basic Makaton with Sam, because we were told he wouldn't talk. (I've added it to the list of other things that we were told that turned out to be cobblers as well!)

    We just adapted our signing to suit us. His first sign that he made up himself? Chinnok. We lived on an R.A.F base, and he regularly signed helicopter, but suddenly started using both hands. It took dense old mummy a couple of days, but then I realised why.

    Fabulous moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and useful now because whilst he does talk, he doesn't see signing as any different and is very accepting of children with different needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we signed with Reuben and he really took to it, it helped us through the really frustrating stage of us not understanding his needs , as soon as he learned to speak he dropped the sign but we still look through the book now and again x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Signing made early parenting so much better for us. Our girlies KNEW they to communicate now at 10 and 6 they remain very creative communicators.

    The best sign in our book: right fist raised and waved back and forth (I think this is ASL) for POTTY. Our second daughter was completely out of diapers at 10 months, because she could communicate that she had business to do...

    I miss this, have FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking about this yesterday, and how Sam put his hands over his eyes so he couldn't see me say "No more biscuits!" when we were at toddlers and he was helping himself! He would sign "please" each time in my direction, then "thankyou" as he nibbled away.

    It's also given me a good grounding in school for the arrival last year of a non-verbally communicating child with ASD and GDD. We've worked on sign over the time, and last summer we went on school trip to the forest nearby, and he was able to play a joke on us, by sneaking up on an adult, grabbing their arms from behind with a "RARRR!" noise, then signing "Bears! Bears in the woods!"

    That was special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved signing with the Wildflower. It was very short but very sweet. Even just a few words made a big difference. Having that ability to communicate is so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I'm not even going to comment on the book, just on signing. Michael loves it so much, even though he can communicate most his needs through words. It's just that, sometimes he doesn't FEEL like talking, so will sign. And I swear it's helped him learn more words and make more mental connections. Right now it's actually helping him learn his letters! From what I can tell, it stimulates the brain differently than just verbal communication, and with all the talk about different learning styles...well, I think that right now, signing is part of his learning style! (both visual and tactile, instead of just aural). Anyway, we are having a blast with it. It's so much more than just a way for him to "say" what he can't 'say', know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I had never thought of that. That for some children, those kinesthetically inclined, it must be especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.