Monday, January 4

Mama's Zesty Lemon Cake

Lemons have been in season here and a friend brought over a bag of them. What to do with so many lemons?! First I thought of gin & tonics with a slice (tequila shots, due to mis-spent youth, are very much out).... or there was cake.



I rarely think of cake when I think of lemons. For me, cake means chocolate or vanilla or some such thing. But I have one lemon cake recipe that I love, because it fits my two main criteria - must taste good and be easy to make. I thought you might like to try it if you find yourself inundated with lemons..... or there's G&Ts of course...don't let me stop you.



Preheat oven to 160C
Grease and flour a 9inch cake tin.

Sugar, 1 1/2 cups sugar
Butter, 1 1/4 cups softened unsalted (or 1/4 cup butter & 1 cup veg/sunflower oil, but add the oil later)*
Eggs, 3 med (room temp)

- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix well.

Lemon zest, about a tablespoon is what I use
Salt, 1/2 tsp
Vanilla extract, about 1/2 tsp

- Mix in zest, extract, and salt.
This is the part where you think lively fun thoughts to transfer to cake.

Lemon Juice, 1/2 cup, from about 2-3 organic or at least unwaxed lemons
Milk, 1 cup (or 1/2 cup if using oil) and add oil now too
Flour, 3 1/2 cups (plain, all-purpose)
Baking powder, 4 tsp

- Add milk, juice and mix a little.
- Combine flour and BP.
- Add and fold in, then mix until just smooth, don't over do it.

Bake for about an hour. Until nice and browned and skewer comes out clean.

Apparently, if your cake peaks in the middle or cracks, your oven is too hot. I don't mind the cracking on this sort of cake, adds to its character I think, and doesn't affect its yumminess factor at all.



This is one of those cakes that depends a lot on personal tastes. You might want it more or less lemony, adjust the amount of lemon zest, or sweeter, add more sugar. No problem.

* I used the oil 'cause I ran out of butter, so I improvised. Worked out fine, although a little different of course.

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Cake AND G&T me'thinks! Just checking - the part where it says Lemons, 2-3 - I'm presuming that's to make the 1/2 cup of juice... You didn't seem to be doing anything else with them... Hugs. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go chookie, adjusted.
    Funny, was thinking of you when I got the idea.... you like this sort of cake, rather than the really sweet kind if I recall correctly.?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mon, this looks yummy! Better than a G & T any day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zingity zing, I love lemon cakes... looks delicious. When is it actually lemon season? Because here lemons seem to grow all year round. And where you are it maybe the same case?

    River Cafe cook books have some really great recipes for lemons. Especially cake ones.

    Might make some pancakes and eat them with lemons and maple tomorrow for breakfast....yummo!

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.