Friday, January 8

Mama's Latina Bean Soup

I was getting a little tired of the Cancer Moon's boggy energy last week and felt like a firey pick-me-up. Then a friend mentioned making all sorts of lovely things with beans, and it got me craving them.

I'm a big fan of soup - wholesome, comforting, easy.

As you know, I don't do recipes, so this is a very rough idea and measurements of what I created. It's very flexible.

Ingredients
Beans of your choice ready-to-cook and suitable for soup (I used haricot this time), 1-2 cups
Chorizo or equivalent (a spicy, fatty, needs-to-be-cooked cured sausage) (or veggie stock for a vegetarian version)
Onions, 2-4
Carrots, 2-4
Garlic, few cloves sliced or crushed
Water, about 4 cups
Tomato puree, about a cup (you don't want this thick and tomato-soup-like)
Cumin 1 tsp, crushed
Oregano 2 tsp
Chilli 1-2 tsp, crushed (depends on how much heat you can take, you want to take yourself to your limit)
Sugar 1 tsp

1. Lightly fry the onions in a little olive oil until partially cooked
2. Add water (or stock for vegetarians), sliced sausage (about 1-2cm thick), carrots (sliced same thickness), garlic, and seasonings
3. Simmer for 40 mins covered
4. Add beans and tomato puree, salt to taste
5. Simmer until meat is really tender, about another 20-30mins



Hmmm.... looks better than the pic, and tastes so yummy. And with creative and warming intentions, this was just the thing to add a spark to our day.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy! I feel the same way about soup, and any recipe that includes chorizo gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My tummy feels warm just looking at the picture. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really yummy!
    Will definitely try it!!

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.