I love this hat and I so enjoyed making it. This is my trial run. I've ordered nicer (better quality and preferrable colour) to the cheap acrylic I used here.
I made just one mistake (that I spotted) but it makes no difference. I also noticed that after the front post crochet stitch the next dc was a little loose leaving a wider gap than I would prefer, so this is something I can remedy. You can't really tell but I would like to have that nicer workmanship.
The pattern (Ravelry - Swirls Cap by Sophia Kessinger) is the best I have ever seen. Wonderfully detailed and useful images. However, as a fairly newbie crocheter, it was a nightmare working out the stitches that create the swirl effect. But once I had, and then got into the flow, it's actually quite straight-forward.
The acrylic is stiff enough that it created a firm brim, so I didn't need the plastic insert. Besides, it's a trial run.
I think I ought to class myself as intermediate now.
Sorry about the poor quality photos - in hindsight, cleaning the mirror might have helped a little. oops...