Saturday, August 29

Weekly Geeks: one title

.


So, Weekly Geeksters, tell us, do you have a collection, (or are you starting a collection,) of one particular book title? If so, what's your story? Why that book, and how many do you have, and what editions are they? Share pictures and give us all the details.
Or perhaps you dream about starting such a collection. What title would it be and what would it take for you to get motivated to start collecting?






I own 3 copies of Pride & Prejudice, and that's it.

Although I have had as many as 1300+ books at one time, I am trying (tryyyyying) to view books like other objects. That is, that I only want to be surrounded by what adds value to my life. Yes, I'm trying to be very Zen about it... or something.

So now, when I finish a novel, if it wasn't amazing, I pass it on. If it's non-fiction I ask - will I use this again?

So having more than one copy of a single title works against this ideal.


However, what I would enjoy owning, is a first edition or early edition collection of certain titles. Such as all Austen's works, or poetry of Frost, Poe and others. I have an early edition of P&P and one of Shelley's poetry. Books with leather or older styles of binding are lovely objects.

What are the other geeksters dreaming of?
.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, first editions are always worth owning. They definitely do add value to one's life (both, in monetary and metaphorical).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book collecting is something I enjoy. I don't have one particular title that I would want to own multiple copies of, though. Collecting the works of one author is an exciting prospect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop buying books. I've tried to offset my buying with the removing of books from the shelves, primarily through BookMooch, but that doesn't seem to be working. What's a bibliophile to do? And I'm with you on the first editions; that would be lovely.

    My post is at http://eclectcentric.blogspot.com/2009/08/weekly-geeks-obsession.html.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't own multiple copies of a single title. Never did.

    Weekly Geeks: I collect books not titles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books that have the old leather look to them. Barnes & Noble has been putting out a collection of novels (Poe, Shakespeare, Tolkien, etc) in this style and I've picked up a few. They're not first editions, but that's okay. It's the content that matters after all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm. I love old books. The look and the feel of them. I've read somewhere that a bookshelf with books really warms up a room and I think it's true. I agree about the non-fiction books being more disposable, though.
    Here's my Weekly Geeks entry about different editions of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.