Saturday, July 11

the week that was

Scorching sunny days and fierce thunderstorms. The weather is unstable but determined. Too heavy-handed symbolism for my current state?

A pic of the crocheted sandals I completed (details at my Crooked Hooks blog).


The Wildflower is suffering from prickly heat. Poor thing. Her torso is covered and once it gets that bad it returns too easily. Like when someone holds her for a few minutes. She begins to become irritable and uncomfortable. She somehow learnt the word itch and applied it correctly to her scratching herself. Her verbal skills amaze us constantly.

It has meant a few nights of further disturbed sleep (will somebody just stab me through the eye and get the torture over with quickly?). One night she was up at 5am (after waking me 4 times since 11:30pm) and was scratching her head and I had to get up and walk her outside to cool down. The next night I spent on the back-stiffening sofabed where the air-con is situated. Last night I improved conditions in our room and fanned her if she stirred..... She fell into deep sleep, only to have a roaring thunderstorm keep me up for the rest of the morning.

One night after 1.5 hrs of sleep, we made a day trip to Bosnia (as you do) with the in-laws. a small market town near the border. I managed to not pull my hair out or commit any acts of violence. Actually, it turned out a nice day out. It was a pleasant town, surprisingly well-kept.











The verdict on the lemon balm? It's a gonner. Dead, kaput, no more, has ceased to be.
I think two little catnep seedlings have survived. And I'm going to cntinue to care for the legume visitor (thanks Maria) as it came for a reason.

And a sneak look at the new crafty skill I'm attempting. Any guesses?



Off to a kiddie birthday party this evening. Hopefully the rain holds off.

10 comments:

  1. Macrame? Dunno, but it looks very interesting...

    A day-trip to Bosnia? How surreal....

    Lightning crashing as I type...'tis the perfect storm of my reawakening....as above, so below and all that....

    ~blessings~

    PS. sorry to hear of the wildflower's itchies..oatmeal bath? Helped enormously when we ran the chickenpox gamut...twice....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks like a lovely day trip you had. I am glad you enjoyed it.

    Poor little Wildflower. I hope those itchies go away.

    The weather has been very unstable here as well. I am hoping for a few days of peace in the skies.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful pictures.

    Sorry to hear Wildflower has been suffering. Hope the itching goes away soon and you get a little bit more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog's new look! Beautiful pics, so summery and is that the little wildflower up there - gorgeous!
    Oh, my heart goes out to you for your sleep deprivation...gosh, you can undertsand why it has been used as a method for torture huh.
    Your crochet work is the cutest I've ever seen! Those wee shoes, just so cute! Lucky little wildflower to have such a crafty mummy to adorn her wee toes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photos are amazing! I hope your little girl feels better soon. She must be uncomfortable. Those are very cute little shoes too! You're a talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pictures are beautiful--my favorite is the last one. Looks like a charming town.

    I don't know how you are surviving on so little sleep. May you get some rest soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bummer about the Wildflower's prickly heat rash. Poor wee girl - hope she feels better soon.

    Bosnia. That would be interesting. With in-laws. Particularly interesting, (well, it would certainly be with mine anyway).

    Sorry to hear of the lemon balm's demise : ( You could try it in a pot - they thrive in a pot...(know it's not perhaps your original idea, but...).

    And may the sleep fairy visit you and bestow her bountiful blessings...and all that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just completely bowled over to read that you had 1.5 hours of sleep and could cope with an eventful day.

    Wonderful... Ihough it won't keep me from wishing you more sleep in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about the prickly heat. Have you tried making either a chamomile, elderflower or rose petal water? The method is very simple. Put a quantity of herb in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer on the lowest heat for 15-20 minutes. Keep the saucepan lid on and leave overnight to cool. In the morning, strain, measure the liquid and add a quarter of the volume of vodka to preserve. All these herbs are really good at reducing heat in skin and soothing inflamed skin. My kids came back from Glastonbury totally sunburnt and an application of eldeflower water soon cooled them down. I've used it successfully for hot, inflamed eczema as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning pics!
    And I LOVE the new look! Must have taken you ages as I've recently changed mine and know it took me FOREVER!
    Blessings and magic.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.