Thursday, July 16

Thursdays

As I don't do one of these every single week, I thought that a permanent spot would be most beneficial to others. You can locate this post from my top menu.

Thankful Anyway Thursday is my response to all the thankfulness I read in Blogland.
Bloggers are thankful for their family, the roof over their head, food on the table, and so on.

Now don't get me wrong, we ought to be thankful for these things when so many do without. But it's easy to be thankful for these things. Too easy. How am I pushed spiritually and psychologically? I think I can push myself a little further.

I want to challenge myself to find the thankfulness in the, well..... the crap. The stuff that initially angers me, annoys me, depresses me, or generally makes me go, ARGH!
I want to find thankfulness in confusion, stress, anxiety, and ruts.
I believe strongly in the benefits of screaming, crying, or punching a pillow if that works for you. And then I believe in moving forward.

The idea is to be thankful for the ACTUAL CRAP, to turn it around.
So if your boss has been mean and unreasonable, being thankful for your loving husband is NOT the idea. Be thankful for the mean boss because he forces you to learn to stand up for yourself for example. If you have the flu, be thankful how it's forcing you to slow down and take time to nurture yourself.
C'mon, if I can do it, so can you.

Sometimes it's a small thing, and sometimes life is really tough. Important, frivolous, serious or humourous - it's all good.
I've come to not only enjoy these Thursday posts, but to find growth through them. Even if I don't find the time or inclination to post, I often compose something in my head from the week that has passed. And reading other bloggers' Thankful Anyways often inspires me.

So, wanna join me?

You can add this button to your side bar (if you do so I'll add your link in this post) or to your own individual Thankful Anyway Thursday post (if you spot mine, comment on it and I'll add your post link to my own).





Just Copy and Paste what's in the box, into a html widget or html part of your post.




Thankful Anywayers

The Organic Sister
My World Edenwild
Mama-Om
The Tired Mommy Blog
Germinando
From the Capricorn's Garden

18 comments:

  1. This is something that I've been thinking of doing, and I may join in next week. I can't just whip up thoughtful posts at this stage of my life - too many little distractions needing attention. Not that I'm not thankful for them. ;)

    I'm going to put it on my calendar and try to get one up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I like to read your Thankful Anyway posts, and often feel like having a go myself, but I'm not sure I can do it! Which makes me think it would probably be a good thing to try and do and it could be a positive thing for me. Hmmm. May give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, a button! I added it. I've really been liking these posts. I wrote today's TAT a few days ago when I was feeling bitter and a sense of loss over this issue. I didn't feel like there was anything I could do and felt doomed. And the truth of the matter is this is not something I have ultimate control over. In the end it will likely still lead to things I don't want to think about right now. But since writing my post and meditating on it for a few days, the bitterness and sadness has passed. I feel confident in doing what I can and comfortable in allowing this to unfold. It's not my ideal but it is reality and choosing thankfulness and acceptance feels so much better than the place I was wallowing in before (not that I didn't need to be in that place for a moment too).

    Thanks for the inspiration, Mon. :)

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added the button. I've been a little off with these lately, but I love doing it. Even if I don't write one, I usually have some thoughts going on in my head about it. When I was studying photography, I constantly saw the world as if through a camera lens. Now I often find myself viewing my problems through a lens of thankfulness. See what you did?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah & Debs, aren't you inspired by Tara and Lisa?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've done mine! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love this, Mon! Looking forward to getting back into TATH :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I echo edenwild... I often have trouble getting a post up on Thursday, but I do think of events through the lens of thankful-anywyay-ness when they happen.

    I put the button up on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the Thankful Anyway Thursday button on my blog and have posted my first TAT post today.

    http://mommysgems.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/the-sink-is-full-of-dishes/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been doing a Thankful Anyway Thursday on my blog. It is a hard one to keep up, but my family and friends have enjoyed it, thanks for this suggestion.

    http://jessikaosborne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to be part of this day of thanks!

    http://sementeperegrina.blogspot.com/

    Luciana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea!! I try to do what I call "Thankfuls" as often as possible but you are right. I'm thankful for all the good stuff. This is a perfect way to take the bad stuff and turn it around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My buttons are increasing...yay

    ReplyDelete
  14. I discovered you through Mel and love the idea. Posted my first "Thankful Anyway!
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This idea of "Thankful Anyway" struck me like a ton of bricks. There have been so many "bad" or negative things happening in my life this year,just one crappy thing after another, that I was sure it would be the death of me. I stopped raising my children, I stopped crafting, reading, I really sunk into such a depression that I didn't see a way out. Until now...once I realized by reading this brilliant idea that if I embrace the negative, my eyes will be drawn to the positive, because it has to be there...I must just be rejecting it because I'm so wrapped up in the heartache.
    So THANK YOU, this is going to be such a healthy exercise for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just added your button. It think this idea is amazing and look forward to seeing what unfolds with my discoveries. I'm thankful that my son's preschool made him feel so UNwelcomed on Thursday when I brought him in at noon. It gave me the opportunity to walk right back out the doors and spend a glorious afternoon with my son!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have just added your button and written my first TAT post. I hope it is the spirit you intended.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.