Wednesday, July 22

Mama's Peach Cobbler

As a Spanish-Italian, South American born, Australian bred, UK citizen, Montenegro living gal, there are certain food words that are part of my memory for no other reason than films and books.

Grits until an American penpal sent me a packet, pecan pie for a long time and then I found it in England, spam thankyou Monty Python, Oreos, corn bread until I gave it a whirl, pastrami on rye, well, the list is lengthy.

So peach cobbler is one of those. I hadn't the foggiest what it looked like, what it was supposed to taste like (except perhaps peachy?). I had never heard of anyone making it or even whether it was a dessert as I presumed.

But when the in-laws brought home a large bag of freshly harvested peaches, the first thought that entered my head was... peach cobbler. Isn't it funny what effect films and books have on us?

I searched high and low and wide for recipes. And in my usual do-it-my-own-way style, I put together one from online sources and my own cake baking experiences that sounded the most appealing to me. Here it is.

8-10 fresh peaches - peeled, pitted and sliced into thick wedges
1/4 cup (50g) white sugar
1/4 cup (50g) brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2-3 tsps cornstarch

Mix it all up in a bowl and stick it in a hot oven (220C, 425F) for 20 mins.

2 cups (250g) flour (plain, all-purpose)
1/2 cup (50g)white sugar
1/2 cup (50g) brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
8 tbsp (100g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
1/2-2/3 cup (120-180ml) boiling water & 1-2 tsps vanilla extract

Mix all dry ingredients. Add butter and rub in until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add water and blend until just mixed.
Add dollops of this to peaches.

Then sprinkle about 1 tbsp white sugar & 1/4 tsp cinnamon over the top.

Bake for about 30-40mins.



Is this what it looks like? I don't care! It's gorgeous. Very sweet so you could certainly alter the sugar amounts, especially in the fruit mix. And you could lower the butter content for something less rich. We have had it with vanilla ice-cream or fresh cream. It was a hit over here.

I'm going to try blueberry and cherry variations.

14 comments:

  1. That's what it looks like, alright! Yours *is* beautiful.

    You'll love the cherry variety - and try rhubarb/strawberry or raspberry if you get the chance. I love cobbler with ice cream. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummmmmy!!

    ooh and cornbread...another favorite :P

    excuse me, must go wipe drool from my face~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually looks great, can't wait to try it!!!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny that your list of foods seems all American food!

    We have grits for breakfast all the time. I've never had SPAM and never plan on it. Oreos are so very, very bad for you and get stuck in your teeth but somehow they are very yummy. Cornbread is a gift from heaven, especially when eaten hot with honey butter. Pecan pie is too sickly sweet for me. Pastrami on rye is excellent, especially with thousand island dressing on the bread and a side of fresh coleslaw.

    Peach cobbler...yours looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I grew up on Peach Cobbler, and your's looks just as delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never made a cobbler. I tend to not make fruit desserts because fruit is so sweet in itself, but that looks mighty delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm I made an apple pie the same way - piecing recipes together. Sooo good! I'll bookmark this one. If we ever get more peaches than we can eat (is that possible?) I'll have to give this a try.

    ~Tara

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks delicious! Having peach cobbler over vanilla ice cream is the best way to have it :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for being adventurous! My sis-in-law has an amazing recipe for this...which I still need to steal from her. I didn't like fruit dessert when I was little (if it wasn't chocolate, it wasn't worth it), but I am gaining appreciation for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you got it perfectly! The area where our house is in Utah is known for Fall peaches, and I have had some amazing peach cobbler there, but never been able to match it myself. I think there is really nothing better in the fruit world than a great peach...

    ReplyDelete
  12. My blog isn't showing your posts as they arise, so I'm late!
    YUmmmmm! Yum yum! I trust this would help little wildflower take her mind off all the itching and wow, you must cope well on not much sleep to get creative to do this.
    And wow, your heritage!
    Yes, it does look like this. I use maple syrup to sweeten my baking. You've given me the idea to make one tomorrow, yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, I will have to try this recipe. I made peach cobbler last week and it was so soupy. I had put cornstarch in it but didn't help. Did you soak the peaches in the sugar for a while and let them drain before cooking?

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lisa - nope. I did peel them over a different container than the mixing bowl and some juice was lost there. I think that adjusting the cornstarch shoud do the trick, or cooking the peaches a tad longer first.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.