I so enjoyed making these. I found them quite easy. I mean, they're not perfect, but they look just fine for shoes. Unfortunately they turned out a little too small for the girl child, but have served as part of a birthday gift for a friend's 1 year-old girl. I'll make another pair.
I found the pattern on Ravelry - downloaded as a pdf from the etsy seller - and it's the first one I have ever bought. I figured it was well below any retail shoes I would have to purchase.
I used cotton thread for the soles (brown) and then baby soft yarn (lilac) for the main part. The cotton was stash and I took a chance at the two colours working together. I think they look fab.
I could have sworn that I took more photos of the process. Oh well.