Monday, August 16

Bear Snores On

what happens when you're decluttering your posts in drafts? you find posts over a year old that you forgot to post.... and you accidentally repost old ones, sorry about that.



Bear Snores On, Karma Wilson
Illustrated by Jane Chapman
Board Book
Suggested age: 2+ years (but my 15 mth old loves it)

a winner of several awards this is one cosy little read. the girlchild really enjoys this one, and i do too. i prefer text that contains a solid rhyme and rhythm. this one's got it.

In a cave in the woods,
in his deep, dark lair,
through the long, cold winter
sleeps a great brown bear.

a bear sleeps and sleeps, supposedly hibernating, and various creatures sneak in. they brew tea and pop corn and generally partake in merriment. the bear wakes up! but all is well and they enjoy themselves together.



nothing scary or weird, just a bunch of critters having fun.
i found some of the text a little awkward at first, but it soon grew on me.

An itty-bitty mouse,
pitter-pat, tip-toe,
creep-crawls in the cave
from the fluff cold snow.

I haven't read any others by Karma Wilson, but on the strength of this one I've ordered a couple more.

edit: since this draft i have read more of Wilson. also, the girl-child still enjoys this one.


Fishpond.au

8 comments:

  1. Hello. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I admit I have not checked in with yours in some time, and I love the new look. I also enjoyed browsing your art blog. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! We love this book at my house! Unfortunately, we don't own it yet, but it keeps getting checked out from the library. I love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love the other one, bear wants more!! I didn;t know about this one! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We own Bear Feels Sick - and it's a favourite at our house. I'll have to check out this one as well. -Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have this book and love it. Haven't read it for awhile. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. I think I remember someone else recommending that book. Will have to look for it. Mind if I link to this on my next Story Time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely book this one -- very nice to read aloud.

    the Christmas one is lovely also -- very Solstice-ish but not dangerously so...kwim? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, must check out Bear Feels Sick and the christmas one too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.