Saturday, May 16

a literary meme

How could I resist?

image: google search

What author do you own the most books by?

Stephen King. I bought everything until he began to lose his touch and it's been a very long time since I read any. I'm a bit nostalgic about him. Austen would come in second.

What book do you own the most copies of?

I'm not one for buying multiple copies. I mean, sheesh, there's so many books to buy and read! It would be like forgoing your Get Out of Jail Monopoly card because it was so cosy in there.

Did it bother you that those questions ended with prepositions?

Nope, but I admit that I noticed them. I dislike being too grammatically correct unless it's for an academic essay. Heck, it's probably because of all those academic essays.

Which fictional character are you secretly in love with?

I thought it was Darcy but that's only because of Colin Firth in the BBC production. It's gotta be Heathcliffe. That level of intensity can sustain me any day.

Which books have you read the most times in your life?

Austen's Pride & Prejudice a few times. I've never understood the re-reading thing at all. The only reason I've read a handful of books more than once is because I've clocked up enough years to leave a respectable distance between readings (and an inevitable distance between memories).
Years ago I joined a Stephen King fan group. Everyone (mostly American) would mention how many times they had read a single book. I had never heard of this tendency before. It seemed to be used as a mark of fanship. There are soooo many books out there! How can you read one book over 10 times??!!

What was your favourite book when you were ten years old?

I remember loving Secret Seven and Famous Five stuff. Loved all that adventure shenanigans.

What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?

As I have a 1 yr-old, you know I haven't been luxuriating in reading, so will have to go back a little further. I was lent books to read during my pregnancy bedrest. The worst I read was some Rom-Com 30something-ordinary-girl-lookin'-for-lurve thingy (what's the genre??) that I can't, or won't, recall the title.

What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?

What have I read? Oh yeah, I re-read The Bell Jar.

What book would you most like to see made into a movie?

It's such a tricky thing to do. If I really love a novel, I rarely want to see it made into a film - I've invested too much in my belief in the form of the characters. Although, a really good Wuthering Heights would be great, with John Cusack as lead perhaps... mmmm

Which book would you least like to see made into a movie?

One of my faves, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. What a disaster that would be.

What is the most low-brow book you’ve read as an adult?

I enjoy reading 'trash' as something has to balance out Nietzsche and Trollope you know? But rarely find something that was written well enough to enjoy it. I would like to know of more well-written trash if anyone has recommendations.

What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?

Intellectually difficult? Writing style difficult?
The former would have to be something back at uni that we were forced to read and was not only intellectually difficult but enormously dull as well. Probably something about statistics in psychology or such.
For the latter, I would say any that includes too much regionally spelt dialogue. OMG, I've forgotten the term for that.

What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you’ve seen?

Not seen anything too obscure. I saw a Hamlet done in business suits, that was jarring.

Do you prefer the French or the Russians?

Well Dostoevsky was a fave back in my early 20's. But give me the wonderful Dumas, Hugo, Satre, Balzac, and Proust over any Russian writer any day.

Shakespeare, Milton or Chaucer?

Shakespeare

What is the biggest or most embarassing gap in your reading?

I've read only a handful of modern fiction.

What is your favourite novel?

I always find 'favourite' questions difficult, as there's so many for so many differing reasons. Pride and Prejudice. As a desert island book that I can read over and over for easy pleasure....

Poet?

Can't choose, so many for different reasons and mostly pick and choose poems. The metaphysical poets are old favourites.

Work of non-fiction?

Ooh, tough one. It's what I read the most. I might choose my Grieve's Herbal as a book from which I would hate to be parted. Worwood's The Fragrant Pharmacy... series. And Women Who Run with the Wolves.

What is the most influential novel you've read?

Wow. Hmmm.... Probably On the Road. It planted a seed in my teenage mind, that there was a way out....

Who is the most overrated writer alive today?

Dan Brown

Which less widely read novel would you recommend?

I would say Frankenstein or Don Quixote. Neither unknown of course! But so many people haven't read them.

What are you reading right now?

Slogging my way through The Mill on the Floss .

Play along if you like.

ay

17 comments:

  1. John Cusack as the lead in 'Wuthering Heights'!!! Come on! What are you on? It was made for Mickey Rouke back in the smouldering dark, gorgeous days of his youth.
    The Fragrant Pharmacy is a much-thumbed favourite of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rourke never had gorgeous days. You are delusion.

    Have you read her Fragrant Mind one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. SwedishJenn16 May, 2009

    FYI: They are remaking Wuthering Heights..I believe it may in production now and no John Cusack in the lead. I like him but no way.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181614/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You re-read The Bell Jar?! That's a read once only book for me--and maybe not even that. I'm not one to take my life, but Sylvia almost took me there. Okay, it probably had something to do with the angst of my early twenties. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone who is seriously depressed. It should come with a warning label.

    I love this post. May have to do it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me pine for reading time! Before I went to college I was a book addict. In college there was no time for personal reading, and since then I hardly ever read just for fun. So sad! Ah, but Wuthering Heights....I am so ready to read that one again. All I remember of it is this picture I have in my head of the moor, and that I loved it! Maybe I should read more books instead of more blogs?? Heh heh. All in good time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the format - really enjoyed reading this, and then writing my own version. :)

    Oh, and the Fragrant Mind is fab, as is the Pharmacy one, and that other one (which escapes me just at the moment) - I was lucky enough to get them all when I worked in a shop which sold such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOOHHH! The Famous Five and Secret Seven!! Only my ultimate faves as a kid...that and pony stories. Still a big fan of Enid Blyton - I bought a re-issued version of The Faraway Tree for the kids (okay, me) but sadly, Savannah hasn't shown an interest...yet...I hope. I still have all of my Famous Fives...

    Wuthering Heights drove me mental....all that unrequitedness....ack!

    Great format...may have to dabble myself...

    ~bb~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post for so many reasons! I love to find another Colin Firth as Darcy fan. I can watch that movie countless times and always be "romanced" by his performance. Austen books are all over my home. I love the classics. I think we would have a grand time chatting away about all our favorites. We enjoy so many of the same authors and genres.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post :) did you see the wuthering heights version with juliette binoche? ralph fiennes wasn't a bad heathcliff, i thought. i'm not sure who would be perfect though. i'm sure a better version could be made. but the music and the moors really captured the dark, mournfulness of the story for me. haunting and so beautiful.

    oh and colin firth as darcy was sooo perfect! i agree. i could watch the bbc p&p over and over and have!

    which yes, though i've watched films repeatedly, i have never been one to reread books. perhaps because i'm not the fastest reader on the block. but lately i've been feeling the urge to reread 'the chosen' and 'a prayer for owen meany.' (which i wish they hadn't tried to make into a film, horrible!)

    and yeah, i hope they never try to make zen and the art into a film. i can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. me again...I've tagged you...(this is a completely non-obligatory thing)

    http://cluttertoshine.blogspot.com/2009/05/tagged.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I admit to being a re-reader. P&P once a year...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Of course I'll have to have a go at this one. Love many of these, (except Stephen King - can't abide him, although I think he's clever). I'm a big fan of Don Quixote, and Shelley's Frankenstein is beautiful.

    Lots of things here I've gobbled whole - The Fragrant Pharmacy - it's brilliant, (haven't caught up with The Fragrant Mind). I used to work in an essential oil/aromatherapy shop years ago, and I used it all the time and refer to it as The Smelly Bible.

    Women Who Run with the Wolves - I re-read bits of this in times of stress, or when I have a case of the blues and the mean reds.

    On The Road (oh yes!), P&P (of course)...I won't bang on anymore. Great meme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah so interesting! I loved reading this Mon...but I'm a little horrified with Wuthering Heights becoming a move...it's too sacred!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I'd like to sidle up to your bookshelf and say Hi. Ta for the format, I had fun diving into my booksies today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone,

    Seems like Firth Appreciation Society has prospective members. chuckle

    mountainmama - yes, I did see the one with Fiennes, who I also find dishy. But I wasn't enamoured with the production.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm late on this, but so with you on Stephen King, and John Cusack. What DID happen to King anyway?

    I can't believe you read The Bell Jar during the first year after childbirth...a recipe for despair!!

    As for low-brow, I did like the Twilight series, not sure if that counts as well-written though...to me it seemed some was OK and some not...she did have a Wuthering Heights thing going on in one of the books though, can't remember which one...

    ReplyDelete
  17. oops, you're right, what was I thinking? I was fine though. I think because it was a 2nd read I was detached from it.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.