Sunday, April 19

Mama's Cornbread

I made a very basic cornbread for the baby's birthday party. I had been wanting to make one for ages as I like the taste of corn and it's so easy, what with no kneading or rising or yeast involved. Perfect.



I used this recipe and followed it to the letter. I know, not like me, but let's remember that this is BAKING. Scary stuff. Okay, I did rebel a little, and threw fried onions into the mix. I'll add even more next time as it gave it an added depth. This one is supposed to be authentic southern cornbread, so I must get me some hog lard.



This is going to be a staple aroud here I think. It's so quick and easy. And I can add other ingredients as it takes my fancy. Like peppers and a pinch of cayenne for a Mexican version. Or herbs, or grated cheese. Mmmmm And I know I'll enjoy actual corn kernels too. It' good with all sorts of meals as well as with a little butter for breakfast.

9 comments:

  1. Mmm, looks yummy. I've never tried cornbread but am keen to give it a go.... and I like your idea for adapting it with whatever you've got to hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest loves cornbread! But I can't get the boys to like it. It's so good with homemade chili:)
    I'm going to try the cheese in it, that sounds so yummy. I'm not to sure about the hog lard...ewww!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks goood. I'm sure it would work with some gluten free flour as a sub too, so I'll give that one a go. Herbs and cheese would definitely be a goer.

    Know what you mean about baking and precision - it's a bit of a science isn't it? Pays to be exact with measuring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds and looks delicious. Have never tried cornbread but have always been curious about it. Will have to try it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM, that looks so good! Growing up in Texas, we lived on cornbread. Quite often we had it with pinto or kidney beans... all mixed together. And as Anet mentioned above, amazing with chili. So good! Okay, now I'm going to have to go make some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love love love cornbread. And as you said, it's very easy. (Very yummy with corn kernels!) I especially like it as it's a native American food, which I like my kids to learn about! You've got me wondering -- how would it taste with cumin?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cumin is one of my faves, I think I would love it with a pinch or two of cumin and one of turmeric, fo an Indian style bread! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was all ready to try this until I looked at the recipe link and saw it has a rating of 1.5 stars out of 5!
    However your pics look good, so maybe I'll be brave :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, you're right. I totally missed the ratng! lol

    The person who gave it a 1 said it was hard on top and tasteless. Mine was perfectly fine on top, it'll go hard if you overcook or your flour needs more water.
    As far as tasteless, it IS very plain. But that's the point. Just a very quick and easy and BASIC cornbread, that you can add to as you please.

    The weird ting is that the person who gave it 2 stars said it was fantastic. ??

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.