Thursday, February 19

vaxing for dummies, chp2

For me, the following has been one of the most important points in the whole issue, because it clarified where I should place my fears, rather than where they have been conditioned to be.

Not all diseases are created equal.

What I mean is that, for our purposes, we can separate diseases into two very distinct camps:

Childhood illnesses and malevolent infectious diseases.

In chp1 I mentioned that immunisation and vaccination are two different things, and this is an important distinction.

Here's why.

Those that push vaccinations do so with the claim that without them we are in danger of infectious diseases. In other words, a vaccination will prevent infection.

But this is a lie.

We need to separate childhood illnesses and infectious diseases before we can properly consider the issue of immunisation. Immunisation is the goal.



  • Childhood illnesses, such as measles and chickenpox, are infections that do not need our intervention to come to an end.
  • Malevolent diseases require our intervention.
So childhood illnesses are ones that we expect children to get. Once contracted, they require our attention, good nutrition, and immune system support. They will end on their own accord.
No medication can end these illnesses.

Malevolent diseases need our intervention to end, and obviously without that intervention the person could have serious complications or die.


  • Childhood illnesses, once had, provide life-long immunity to that disease. IMMUNITY.
  • Malevolent diseases do not create immunity.
Vaccines for childhood illnesses have a very different affect on the immune system than having the illness naturally. The natural process provides life-long immunity whilst the vaccine provides temporary and artificial (inferior) immunity.

This is why immunisation via vaccination is a lie.
A vaccination for measles, for example, can cause symptoms after the vaccination (so that another child can catch the illness from the vaccinated child!), and the vaccinated child can contract the disease in the future.[1] If the person gets the disease later they have a higher chance of complications.

Malevolent diseases can be caught over and over again. Vaccines provide some protection, not immunity.
Good nutrition and hygiene can provide much protection against some of these diseases. (which is why they are more prevalent in underdeveloped countries)





Childhood IllnessesMalevolent Diseases

measles
chickenpox
whooping cough
slapped cheek roseola
infantum roseola
mumps
scarlet fever
rubella

polio
tuberculosis (TB)
diphtheria
tetanus
cholera
typhoid
meningitis
typhus
hepatitis A, B, C
rabies
haemophilus
smallpox
yellow fever




Some people get all childhood illnesses, others get only some of them, and people that already had them are immune.
Nutrition, including breastmilk, does not make a person immune. But good nutrition helps treatment. Only contracting the illness makes you properly immune.

Childhood illnesses, when treated properly, do not need to be feared in the way we have been conditioned to fear them.
Malevolent infectious diseases are worthy of extreme caution and even a healthy and informed fear.

For parents who find this whole issue too overwhelming, and want to accept some vaccinations, this information alone can help you decide which vaccinations to choose - ones for malevolent infectious diseases, not the ones for childhood illnesses.

I highly recommend: Raising a Vaccine Free Child, Wendy Lydall. (UK, Aus)

[1] “Outbreaks have occurred in 100% vaccinated populations.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. US Government 12/29/89/38(S-9):1-18.
“80% of Measles is contracted in vaccinated people.” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. US Government 6/6/86/35(22):366-70.



7 comments:

  1. You made some really good, balanced distinctions between childhood illnesses and diseases. I'll search that book out too, as if we try for another child, I'd like to approach things a little differently than I did the first time 'round.

    I would possibly make a (biased I'll admit) distinction with rubella however. I do think this is potentially a very serious disease. I had myself vaccinated against this when I was planning to get pregnant, due to 2 children I knew as a child (including my best friend at primary school) who were both legally blind from birth due to their mothers contracting rubella during pregnancy.

    Paranoid of me perhaps, (because this is so very rare), but my decision just couldn't help but be influenced by knowing these children, and the impact upon their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Mon. I also recommend Primal Health by Michele Odent. Not about vaccination, per se, more about how the overall health and balance of the environment of our bodies it our best protection from disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Docwitch - I think that particular personal experience is as good as most to help you decide. In the face of so much conflicting evidence for us poor parents, these experiences definitely have their worth.

    nettlejuice - Thanks for the book recommendation, will look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information. I will have to seek out the book you recommended. Time is getting closer and we'll have to make some decisions in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this post. It really does clarify a lot of things for me. I don't think anything I've read has been so succinct about the difference between childhood diseases and malevolent diseases.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The social problem we have is that there is usually no one in the family who can stay home for the several weeks it sometimes takes to nurse an ill child. I totally agree that most childhood illnesses are better left unvaccinated, and that with proper nursing the more scary side effects will be prevented. Most of the pro-vaccination literature I've read emphasizes the death and side effect rates, which I see as scare tactics, as the numbers are so small given the total population, and are preventable otherwise.

    And I agree with what you said in part 1 about having full information and making individual decisions. Docwitch chose to vaccinate herself for rubella. When my son was an infant, he was vaccinated with DPT (we couldn't get them separately) and Synagis to prevent lung diseases because of his birth trauma. After that we chose not to vaccinate him further, and his sister has not had vaccinations either. I'd like to get them vaccinated against polio, and probably tetanus, when they're a bit older. If we were living in a major metropolitan area or traveling overseas, I'd consider doing more.

    I also liked The Vaccination Dilemma by Christine Murphy. The anthroposophical view is that childhood diseases are beneficial for the proper physical and spiritual development of the child, as are fevers in general.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you had all this great info on your blog! It was exactly what I was looking for two years ago.

    I am not anti vaccination, but I do want to make an informed choice. Australia has got the highest vaccination rate in the world! If you fully vaccinate your child, you get money from the government. (And doctors also get money from the government if their patients are fully vaccinated.) If you don't, you get a phone call, like I did. I told the lady that I was still deciding which diseases I was going to vaccinate for. I asked her to explain the risks etc and basically provide me with a table like you put up with the illnesses and the diseases. She would not give me any such information and the conversation ended with her sending me a "conscientious objection" form. She was meant to be the lady who phoned me with an unbiased view. Ha!

    We are also not able to split the vaccines here, I wanted to vaccinate only for measles and it is not possible. My experience with Annie in South Africa was much more positive, because I had a very helpful nurse who helped me to make the right decisions.

    At this point, I have halted all vaccinations for my children and will likely vaccinate Annie for Rubella when she gets older.

    It just doesn't feel right for me, but that is not a valid explanation for people.

    I don't talk about it here, because there is a HUGE stigma that you are subjecting the population at large to armageddon by not vaccinating for something like Chicken Pox!

    Great job for putting this up.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.