Saturday, February 21

entwining

I've been practicing the double crochet (or possibly the treble, who knows!).


It has sent me barmy looking at various videos and sites who, as I have since realised, seem to be using either US or Brit terms. What a crazy way to learn. Nobody bothers to mention which they're using. So I think I'm sticking to US, but I don't really know.

Either way, I've completed a project. Yes, that's right, only after about 3hrs of practice.

First, I learnt how to make a centre-pull ball from a skein.



And here's the first finished project, skinny scarf.


Materials:
1 skein (approx 100m) black baby alpaca yarn (dk weight, I think)
8mm (size L) hook
Pattern:
4 rows sc
many rows dc
4 rows sc
Made while: watching baby play, chatting to hubby, watching telly, during cooking pauses....

I wanted to show it because I wanted others to know that crochet is easy enough to have a simple scarf this quickly.

Here's the tiny piece of wild grass found in the middle of the skein. As it's alpaca and it's spun in Peru, it's either from the alpaca itself or from the environment as it was spun, like from the spinner's coat. A piece of there over here. Stories entwined.


p.s, for those interested, the next new moonboard is just around the corner if you want to join in.

11 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous looking scarf Mon - love the colour, and the wool looks like it would be incredibly soft and cosy.

    I must say, if that's only 3 hours work, then I am definitely inspired to give crocheting a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarf! Alpaca yarn is luscious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realize I've been posting with the wrong profile. This is more "me" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great scarf - well done you! I had problems with the difference between UK and US terms to begin with too as I taught myself from a combination of US and UK books. It was frustrating at the time but now I'm really glad I did it that way as it means I have so many more patterns to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a treble stitch (in UK terms) in US terms that's a double :)

    Another way to make a scarf using the treble stitch is to make the foundation chain with 3 extra for turning. Then crochet 3 trebles into one chain stitch and then two chain stitches and then in the 3rd chain from where you did your trebles... it will create a chequerboard affect with 3 trebles close together, a gap and then another 3 trebles. Works up real fast and looks nice too :)

    If you were to use thinner yarn it would be known a fillet crochet - commonly used for making net curtains or shawls.

    Joxy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joxy, that sounds really interesting, but I don't understand it! Is there a pattern online for that somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I have been very unsuccessful on the knitting maybe this is an alternative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I crochet a section up and post on my blog; I think as soon as you see it you will see what I mean.

    (I'll just go and crochet now lol)

    Joxy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice, Mon! It's wonderful to use a super-nice yarn like alpaca,even for a simple scarf.

    I guess one way to see if they're using UK or US terms is whether they say "triple" (US) or "treble" (UK).

    I never thought about the little bitsies in the yarn being a little piece of where the animal was. That's a wonderful realization!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh, triple and treble, yes! I can remember that because we used to say tiple in Australia, then I had to learn to say treble.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.