Tuesday, December 16

solids, snow, skiing, seismic, & sewing, (sort of)

How's that for alliteration?

I loved all your comments yesterday. Thank you for remembering my sidebar note, not to take me too seriously. *grin*

Solids (delayed)
The Wildflower has actually had some food, but still doesn't seem very interested to me. Now that she's over 6 months we're really getting it from all sides. Fortunately, I'm a confident mum. That doesn't mean I'm confident I'm doing everything right, it means I'm confident in my intuition and I'm confident that if I'm not doing it right I'll learn from the experience, and baby won't be too psychologically scarred in the process.

I'm also just generally amused at human behaviour and step back from it in a philosophical sense to chuckle. I love that after the statement, 'she should be on solids", when I ask, 'Why is that?', there is a blank stare.

That speaks volumes. How much we do and believe from unconsciousness. I haven't had a single person give me a good reason why. It's fun watching the faces contort in an attempt to process my audacious question. *wicked grin*

Snow (distant)
Apparently we've had a snow flurry up at the homestead, but down here, it's still a balmy 10C, and still plenty of green on the trees. Although, for a cold-blooded (or so DIY Dad claims) creature like me, it's cooooooold. But then, the blogosphere has put me straight.

What with all the snow such at homes of recently found bloggers, Sarah's place in the UK, as well as Zenmomma's, Tara's, and Kat's. And then Sara told me just what Cold really means, and put me to shame.

Growing up in coastal Australia meant that my Winters were all about storms and sun showers and occasional golf-ball-sized hail storms. Never snow. Snow was something seen on American Xmas shows. How fluffy and fun it appeared. In England, I was rudely introduced to snow by slipping on black ice and spraining my ankle. Not fluffy at all. I felt duped.

Over here, we get sleet and occassional light frosts, but up at the homestead, we were introduced to the conditions last Winter, when we couldn't get the car up the icy mountain road and had to care-ful-ly turn back. I'm looking forward to our adventures up there.

Skiing (never)
My friends are trying to convince me that I will love skiing. I am patiently trying to have them understand three truisms about me.

  1. I would rather poke myself in the eye. Repeatedly.
  2. I don't do damp, cold, or sports. Apart nor in partnership.
  3. If I ski, I will break a limb. My own or one belonging to the person who convinced me.
Seismic (soon)

There's been tons of earthquake talk around these here parts. Apparently there is a big one predicted - 11 on the R scale is big right? The epicentre being about 45mins away. *gulp*

They had one here about 1978ish. Which is why many of the old stone houses are now ruins.

Somebody said it was supposed to happen a few days ago. We all held our breaths and mentally listed what we would grab first. (it was the baby, not the laptop, honest!)

Sewing (considering)
Well, actually, crafting in general. But sewing was alliterative. (didn't mean to over-excite you there oh crafty one).

I'm just so inspired by all the bloggy craftiness out there. And as we're moving towards a simpler and simpler life still, I know that making gifts will become part of our lifestyle, rather than the occassional whim. So this is where I turn to you, dear bloggy friends.

So, which craft? (grin) I mean let's look at the evidence.

  • I'm not good with details. I'm good at spotting them, but not good at creating them. I'll go nuts with anything intricate.
  • I can't sit at something for too long. So a pick-up-as-and-when-you-feel-like-it sorta thing works best.
  • I'm a 6 on the 1-10 creative scale. Meaning I don't come up with much on my own, but once I have something to get me going, I can be very creative.
  • I tried crocheting once and I loved how therapeutic it was. But just how many crocheted top/blankets can one use in one life time?
  • I do (did) weaving with hemp, but that's really tiring on the hands and takes forever to produce something and then suddenly you have all the woven jewellry you can use.
  • I have a baby. So candle making, etc, is out for now.
  • I have limited resources.
  • I like the idea of something I can do whilst sitting by a wood stove

So nothing concrete today. What an almost-ness post.... perhaps it isn't really here either...

12 comments:

  1. Jeez, hope you don't get the big earth quake. Southern Sweden had one this morning reaching 4.7 on the R scale. Mum said the whole house shook just from that. She thought there had been a gas explosion in the neighbourhood, apparently there's been a spate of natural gas explosions in the area lately (natural gas heaters leaking & combusting when people air their homes out in the morning). My best friend slept through it all though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, what about knitting? That doesn''t have to be very detailed and can be picked up as and when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like I'm hearing about more earthquakes/potential earthquakes than usual lately. I can't even imagine how bad an 11 would be! I hope it doesn't hit in your lifetime.

    I'm with you, crafting by a wood fire sounds great, but it can't be too detailed. I actually like knitting because it's done in pattern, so that once you get the hang of the pattern it's all very meditative from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is refreshing to see a confident mum!

    Oh I do hope there is no earthquake that big! It seems scary to me!

    Crafting, I think I am with you ... my friend recently taught me to knit dish rags and I have not even finished one ... with five children I seem to never have time and the little that I have done has been pulled out several times by little hands!!!! But I am looking for an inexpensive sewing machine to make wool soakers from recycled wool sweaters -- looks easy enough!!!We will see! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on skiing. I don't even want to attempt it. We've also had snow around here, which is rare for these parts (NW Oregon). We had 3" on Sunday and are forecasted to have more tomorrow and then again on Saturday. Yikes! Too much cold stuff for me.

    I hope you don't have an earthquake. 11 would be massive. We're also in an earthquake prone area, but we get smaller ones around here. I've only felt one since we moved here and that one was in 2002.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have all the crafting issues you have, lol. I have tried many, many crafting projects. I get very distracted and I am a big klutz and for how much I advocate making things by hand on my blog, you would think with how many failed projects I have I would have thrown in the towel by now.

    Weaving is a good one. I have had a simple belt loom, and a table-top loom and this tends to be more expensive, but very easy. It's a no-fail craft, lol.

    I am right now trying my hand at some very simple leather-crafting, which also tends to be a bit expensive and hard on the hands.

    By far the easiest and best craft has been knitting. It took me a really long time to figure out, but I bought the Klutz Knitting book with the wooden needles and that got me started. I have only spent about $5 on massive quantities of used and Freecycle quality woolen yarns, and I've made soakers, hats, a purse, and even water bottle insulation. After more soakers I'm going to make some baby toys. :)

    Sewing is also very good. After I move I would like to make some weird throw pillows. I learned to sew because I wanted a Regency/Sense and Sensibility dress and after 2 years of struggle finally had on, lol. I wish I had documented it. In the process I even sewed through my thumb (with the machine).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The earthquake stuff sounds scary. And as for skiing... it's not too bad. But you can't go out there scared (which I have done a few times). You just gotta go with the flow and stay within your limits. It can be fun, but only if you really want to try it. And its not too cold.

    I love crafts. Basket weaving is a good choice, and very satisfying when you are finished and have this beautiful basket in front of you. And the great thing is you can gather your own material for it (for the most part anyway). As you know, I love scrapbooking. Both paper and digital. For digital you just need a computer. And for paper scrapbooking, you really don't need all that much. People go way overboard sometimes, when simplicity is just as beautiful... if not more. And you can reuse/alter things to use in your layouts as well. Plus little mini albums make great gifts for family. You can make mini albums out of all kinds of things: any old cardboard you might have, a paper bag, envelopes... just about anything if you put your imagination to work. OK... I'll stop now. I could go on forever. Have fun in whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blog, Mama. Thanks for visiting mine. Re: crafts, I started knitting when I was pregnant and love it. I go through phases when I knit like mad and then put it away for a few weeks when time gets limited.
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a sewing machine and learning to sew, but I think I may be getting ahead of myself!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. *alarmed expression* - hope that earthquake doesn't eventuate, or it proves to be nothing more than a series of gentle earthy exhalations. I do know your trepidation having done a lot of growing up in NZ - otherwise pejoratively known as the 'shaky isles'.

    You did get my hopes up when I saw the word 'sewing' in the post title...heheh. Lots of people have suggested knitting which is a great idea, but I won't suggest it, only because I am a crap knitter. What about embroidery? There are some fabbo patterns around now (Jenny Hart over at Sublime Stitching has revolutionised the art of embroidery as far as I'm concerned). Or you can get a fabric pencil and draw something to embroider quite easily. Its something you can pick up and put down endlessly.

    I also use to enjoy weaving things with flax - baskets n' stuff. Thought of that because of your hemp weaving (which is very impressive of you, but no doubt hard on the hands as you say). I'd love to see some of your work. Ah, Show-and-Tell, I love thee...

    Have to agree with you re skiing. Cold, wet sports which involve (me) falling down a lot/having to be carried at some point = anathema.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Solids: Well, if you had asked me, I might have given you the anthroposophical spiel about uprightness arising at 9 months and the need to individuate and thus break away from mother's milk. But you didn't, so I won't. ;-)

    Snow: We've gotten about 3 inches over the last few days. Driving has been OK but a bit slippery, and the kids are in heaven playing outside. It's been in the low teens to 20's F, not too cold.

    Skiing: No. I just don't do it. Dislocated my knees too many times in my teens. But it does look fun!

    Seismic: I grew up in Southern California, so I've been in (counts on fingers) about 4 or 5 fairly major ones, from around 5.5 to 6.5. It sounds to me like someone has been watching This is Spinal Tap, because the Richter scale only goes up to 10, not 11, and a 10 has never been recorded! (According to Wikipedia, a 9-9.9 would devastate several thousand miles across.)

    Sewing/crafting: Well, you could crochet something else! I made a wool sweater for my kids that was the most basic of forms (pretty much two squares and two long rectangles for sleeves) and was very quick. I also crochet winter hats for them every year. Another idea is needle felting, though you would definitely want to keep the needle safely away from Wildflower. It's quick, oddly therapeutic, and can be as detailed as you like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your post. My kids were all breastfed until they refused. :) And the solid thing? I totally agree.

    Here's some craft help. KnittingHelp.com has great videos to teach you basic things. Make a felted pouch like this:

    Cast on 14 with 100% wool (use worsted weight, size 10 US needles), knit back and forth for 11 inches. Then fold it up, leaving 2 inches for a fold-down flap. Sew up the side seams (leave the top to flap over!)with the same yarn. Now put it in the washing machine and shrink it up on purpose. Let it air dry, stretched to shape, attach a snap or something and decorate it or not. It can be very cute and a no-brainer. I'm making a bunch of these this winter, sitting by my fireplace. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog. It's great to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regarding the solids. There is one way to silence your critics Mon and to help ensure she is not "psychologically scarred"....How does Izzy measure up to children her own age? What is her percentile? Yes you could certainly say all children develop differently but according to my Dr. Friend, that's asure fire way to make sure she's thriving. Take her in to see a pediatrician who will take her height and weight and compare it to other children her age. You'll at least have a somewhat scientific idea of how your child is developing and if the results are good, you can go tell everyone to pound salt or sand :-)

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.