Saturday, December 27

the knitting nutter

I'm such a nutter. I have to share with you just how nuts I am.

When I get an idea in my head my enthusiasm wants to execute it yesterday. So once I had decided on knitting I wanted to get on with it. Not having needles, etc, etc, I opted for watching the videos (thanks guys, knittinghelp.com is very good). I figured I would at least get a feel for the techniques and learn some jargon.

Of course, that wasn't enough. So I grabbed a couple of wooden spoons and my weaving yarn (hemp), and tried the casting on technique. Can you imagine? At least I'm able to recognise the craziness of my ways. That's something, right?

That was of course all well and good until I attempted a knit stitch. Suddenly, I remembered the chopsticks! Oh the joy! I had to hunt for them in the still-packed boxes but found them.

I had some fun with those but the severe tapering wasn't helping. And then I had another brainwave, skewers!

So yes people, I took two kebab skewers, cut off their tips, and used those. I mean, they're just like needles, albeit very thin ones. It got me thinking about all those women from poor places or from long ago who made do with whatever tools they had to hand.

Of course, this was not the easiest way to begin a knitting journey was it? Tiny needles and very thin (jargon?) yarn, only 2ply. Very intricate work, but I got the idea of it. Now I've found my 4ply yarn and am trying it with that.

Look at this gorgeous piece of mess. How fab is that?! It looks even worse in real life, but I knitted!

Photobucket

So I know how to cast on and do a knit stitch (apparently the continental way). I'm totally confused about how to begin a subsequent row, as the loops don't look right. I've joind the forum on the above website, hopefully that'll help.

Knitty.com looks interesting for patterns and inspiration, thanks Lisa. I'm still looking into books. A child's books sounds useful, and I could leave it for the Wildflower if she's ever interested. I wish I had someone to learn from Anthromama and Maria. However, I have no idea if they do classes for such things here, and it would be in a foreign language anyway. I went for a walk and met an old lady knitting while she attended her shop. I started to watch, she smiled, but then she had to answer the phone. I wonder if she'll think it strange if I just sat there and watched her every other day? lol

11 comments:

  1. woohoo! your awesome. that's how ALL great things begin. happy knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh-oh, I think we've created a monster here! lol Actually, your first piece of knitting looks great!!! And you did it with chopsticks. You are so gonna love this...

    In Melanie Falick's _Kids Knitting_ book, she shows how to make knitting needles out of wooden dowels that are about pencil-sized. You just sharpen them in a pencil sharpener and smooth them with a bit of sandpaper. It looks like chopsticks work well, too.

    I'm glad you found the videos. I think they're ALMOST as good as learning from someone. There are like a thousand different "right" ways to knit, so whomever you learn from will have their own technique. Continental is a really good one to use, though. It's what I was taught.

    I think you should try watching that woman you see knitting, maybe she'll be happy to help even with the language barrier.

    Which reminds me, are you learning the language there fairly well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wait, I got the chopsticks part wrong. Skewers, you said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only you Mon, only you! Very funny lol. But I do like your enthusiasm. Sounds so much like me when I get an idea into my head. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol You remind me of me, wanting to execute yesterday and attempting to find anyway possible to satisfy my urge to GO NOW! Interesting choices, very neat tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh do connect with the local lady, I bet she would be thrilled to help you... nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! New around here, and also new to knitting. I'm on week 3 and loving every stitch! Your knitting looks great! I started with larger needles and thicker yarn. Now I'm using a 10.5 needle and smaller yarn. I'm knitting a purple scarf right now just doing the regular stitch. I don't know how to knit any other way. I have heard that purling is the same thing, you just bring the needles to the front instead of the back, but haven't attempted it yet. My scarf is 30 stitches...which I found out is pretty wide for a scarf, but maybe it will be extra cozy! haha.

    Have fun with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hurrah! We have resorted to chopsticks in my household when my girl wanted to have a go at knitting, hehe. But it works! And looks like you're doing some great knitting already!

    I'm all inspired and have ordered some absolutely beautiful wool from Suse of Pea Soup's etsy shop to get me started. Not sure what to make with it yet. Have you come up with any ideas for a beginner's project? Or are you practising for now?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make do or do without!! You go, I love the improv and really what is a knitting needle but a couple of skewers. Keep posting, I love to follow new journeys (and knitting is on my list of things to learn).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mon, that knitting looks very, very good! Things like stitch tension make a big difference in how even your knitting will look, and that just takes practice. It's great to be so inspired, not nuts at all :-)

    Knitting needles are very easy to make, as LisaZ mentioned. Kids in Waldorf school do that often. A nice thing to do is to glue a wooden bead on the unsharpened end, to help keep the knitting on, and to wax the needles lightly with beeswax to keep them clean and a bit slippery.

    By "continental" do you mean you are holding the long end of the yarn in your left hand? That's how I do it, and it feels more efficient to me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I hold the long end of the yarn as well as the knitted rows in the left hand, and then the free needle starts in the right.

    I might see about getting 2nd hand needles.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.