Wednesday, December 3

Kiwi Chutney

Remember all those kiwis I had mentioned recently ? Well, I just didn't really know what to do with them. Jam was the obvious choice, but although we love jam when we have it, we rarely have it.

Searching through my books I came upon a recipe for kiwi chutney. Excellent. I love chutneys.

I wasn't too hopeful as not having ever made chutney before I had nothing to work from other than a recipe. I used only about 7-8 kiwis to experiment, but it turned out great.

And anyone who knows me knows that I wouldn't ever actually follow a recipe, so here's my kiwi chutney recipe version.

6 cups kiwi fruit chopped (about 1-2cm cubes)
3 tart green apples peeled & chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup raisins
4 cloves garlic finely chopped

1 tsp finely chopped ginger root (I used ginger powder)
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cloves ground (I just crushed well)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Photobucket
In a large stainless steal saucepan combine everything except the spices.
Bring to boil over medium heat.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30mins. Stir often and constantly when becoming dry.
Then add spices.
Boil gently, stir frequently for about 10mins until jam like, or desired consistency.

Photobucket
Tip: I noticed my kiwis were still quite firm, so you might want to cut out the middle yellow parts if very firm because they won't cook down at the same time as the rest.
Also, although you can't go wrong with it, I would suggest doing a small batch first (I did a thrid of the above and just thirded everything lol) so that you can adjust for the exact taste you prefer on a bigger batch. For instance, I think we would prefer a tiny bit less vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.