Wednesday, November 19

truly cruelty-free shampoo

My No Shampoo page gets a fair amount of visitors. It seems many people are interested, at the very least, in a way of avoiding chemical-laden shampoos.

There's another shampooing issue, among others, there's the issue of animal testing. And before you tell mw how some animal testing is essential to save human lives, I'm talking here only about animal testing for beauty products. I'm sure we would all agree that putting animals through pain and anguish for the sake of extra shiny hair just isn't okay.

But all I'm going to do today is make things really simple.

Firstly, I want to point out to you savvy consumers one very important thing of which to be aware - labels such as 'not tested on animals' can be very misleading.

While a company is unlikely to lie blatantly (lawsuits anyone?) the label may only be part of the story. You see, while the specific product might not have been tested on animals, the company overall might test on animals. In fact, many animal-testing companies have a few cruelty-free products. But handing your money over for one of these latter products is still supporting the company in their work.

But I want shiny-bouncy-bouncy-hair, I hear you whine.

Like I said, I'll make it easy for ya.

Shampoo manufacturers to avoid:
Proctor & Gamble (includes Clairol, Aussie, Wella, Pantene, Head & Shoulders, Zest, Max Factor) Johnson & Johnson (but they have such cute babies on their products. I know!)
L'Oreal
Colgate-Palmolive

Here are two companies that do NOT test on animals.
Aveda (I know, such a big company. Good on them!)
Avon

And hair colour:
Revlon

If you know of any big names in the business that don't test on animals, please let me know so we can add to this list.

And did you know that Aveda is listed in the top ten of any company to have a great record regarding environment & sustainability, packaging, animal welfare, worker's rights, buying organic, community support.

HOWEVER, Aveda is owned by Estee Lauder who are not on cruelty-free lists, but I'm unsure if this is due to lack of demonstration on their part or they actually test. But I'm listing Aveda because as an individual company they are pretty darn fab on all the reasons listed above. And I know many consumers buy ordinary products from ordinary stores, rather than specifically green/cruelty-free products from specialty stores. In a similar line, The Body Shop, renowned for its ethics, is owned by L'Oreal/Nestle. But Nestle is one of the worst culprits out there, so I've chosen to not shop there any longer.

So, you don't have to be crunchy to be mindful. If you're going to buy a shampoo anyway, make it green & cruelty-free or at least make it from one of these more ethical companies.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Hauschka doesn't test on animals, though they do use animal-derived substances in some of their products.

    I know someone who stopped shampooing (she has very tight natural ringlets) and it worked wonders for her. I have very thick straight hair and very hard water here, so I don't think I can go the baking soda route!

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.