Sunday, November 30

Page 56

Pinched this from Anthromama.
  • Grab the book nearest you. Right now. Don’t dig for your favourite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
  • Turn to page 56.
  • Find the fifth sentence.
  • Post the sentence (and source) below.
The four closest turn out to not have that many pages. But I'll give you a feel for their content by quoting from page 5 of one of them,

Hippopotamous, hippopotamous, what do you hear?

So I had to reach further and grabed blindly for the first book from my shelf.

From Naomi Klein's No Logo:

"Like a prima donna, it sits in the spotlight, the first celebrity shoe"

Klein is talking about a Nike sneaker, that sits on a pedestal at Nike Town in Manhattan.

That's right, there is a shoe that is hailed and revered in a way that an ancient artifact might be handled. But unlike a precious artifact that is awe-inspiring and educational because of the history within its molecules, this is a new product that inspires one thing. The thing that the marketing giants aim to inspire - consumerism.

A fitting meme choice during the horrifying reflection of our humanity.
I don't know what's worse, that it happened or that many of us, although disgusted and shocked, aren't truly surprised.

6 comments:

  1. I too had to reach a little further as all the books next to me had less than 56 pages --- but here is what I found:

    "To begin, we can simply go outside and sit down in front of a flowering Chicory."

    Taken from: Medicine of the Earth by Susanne Fischer-Rizzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We merely add something which had not been properly appreciated before this."

    Character Analysis, Wilhelm Reich

    This quote is totally out of context, but fits in with the Thanksgiving theme. I got a fortune cookie a couple days ago that said, "Bring a good friend flowers." I thought that was the oddest fortune, but made me think to not only experience appreciation in myself, but to SHARE it.... It made me think about who in my life could use a little appreciation....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another quote from an herbal book, the book nearest me at the moment, Matthew Wood's _The Book of Herbal Wisdom_.

    "These complex carbohydrates have a filmy, coating, lubricating quality so that in the body they produce an effect similar to mucus, coating and soothing raw, exposed, irritated, dried membranes."

    He's talking about mucilaginous plants.

    I love the sentence from the first comment. It sounds just like the way I was taught about herbs, mainly by herbalists Matthew Wood(above) and Lise Wolff. Sit down amongst them and observe...Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My closest book is a cookbook, The Victory Garden Cookbook by Marian Morash. So, excluding the ingredients list here's the fifth sentence:

    "For a less sweet version, cut the sugar down to 1 1/2 teaspoons and increase the vinegar to 2 tablespoons."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randomness can be so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get Adbusters magazine occasionally, it's really eye opening. We've had a few conversations with my kids recently about Disney. They have now seen a few Disney movies lately (at school, of all things) and were acting kind of obsessed about them. Hopefully it's just a kind of reverse interest since they get nothing like that at home. Anyway, we explained that Disney takes fairy tales and adds characters and songs and things...to make you want to buy their products. I think my kids are actually getting it!

    I saw that article in the NY Times the other day and thought about blogging it, but it was too depressing. The worst part was how people didn't want to leave the store after being informed someone had died, because they had waited so long to get in.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.