Saturday, November 29

nothing gold can stay

At 3:15ish am last night these words ran through my head.
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
so dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


Albeit I mangled the penultimate line. So Robert Frost was talking about a little more than a baby having a 3 night run of half decent sleep, getting mum hopeful, and then a night of sheer torture for said mum. But it applies. Funny what the mind can manage even in a blur of shadows and dreams.

Never thought it would be Mr Frost keeping me company, but that he did, and at some point I drifted off to the images of golden leaves.

To be woken up 15mins later.....

We have some good friends coming over later. I'm making burritos. But She is on a blood type diet thingy, so I'm unsure about the flour wraps. I suppose she needn't eat them. Although then it's not burritos, but a pile of minced meat. Tasty though, if I do say so myself.

We met these friends only about 10-12 mths ago. They have two children, one is a girl just 3 mths younger than my Wildflower. They are a lovely couple who have similar family ideas to us. We envisioned being lifelong friends and our children growing up together. The start of our tribe here. Not an easy task when one is an expat.

A few days back they mentioned they may not stay here afterall, and might return to England instead.

Nothing gold can stay?

4 comments:

  1. Robert Frost at 3am! That's a helluva lot better than "erk, ffunph" which is all I've ever managed.

    Know what you mean about the tribe thing. Although I'm generally a loner, I've always loved the idea of gathering a friendly tribe around me and watching our children grow together. But I have a number of friends who live and breed far from me. Either that or it's been a matter of timing.

    One of my closest friends is moving away next month. Our girls have known each other since they were 3 weeks old, and it's their oldest, closest friendship. It does leave a bit of a hole doesn't it?

    I hope the Wildflower lets you have a better night's sleep. Although her antics are clearly encouraging of poetic endeavours. And who needs sleep when you've got poetry? (ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite poems BUT it has been a long time since I have heard it! Thanks!!

    Surrounding ourselves with a village of people sounds so nice. We recently moved and I am seeking friendship for me children! We have one family that we are looking at purchasing land and starting a small community but this all takes time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Robert Frost's writing. I think he was writing about situations exactly like yours (the baby and the friends both).

    I'm sorry your friends are thinking of moving back to England ... but I must say I am happy for their parents if they are returning to their homeland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, Robert Frost is an old fave of mine.

    Amy - lots of luck with that, it does make a difference to your children's lives,a nd yours, but there are also 'solo' families out there doing fab, so I guess it's really about us and how we deal with whatever situation we have.

    Sarah - their parents are retiring and going off travelling! lol

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.