Sunday, November 16

Babywearing used to sell drugs

Just picked up this news through Twitter.

Motrin drug company has an add to sell you painkillers for that horrible back pain you must be getting carrying your baby. I'm including the full script in case they pull the ad soon (hopefully!).

Script:
[Side panel]
As a mom, you know what it's like to have a unique kind of pain that's underappreciated.
(martyrs come, one and all)
From walking for hours in high heels
(mommy has a 'night' job sweetie)
to staying up all night carrying a feverish child
(yep that requires mommy to be medicated)
Motrin wants you to know, we feel your pain
(I believe them, don't you?)

The ad:

Wearing your baby seems to be in fashion.
I mean, in theory it’s a great idea.
There’s the front baby carrier, sling, schwing, wrap, pouch.
And who knows what else they’ve come up with. Wear your baby on your side, your front, go hands free.
Supposedly, it’s a real bonding experience.They say that babies carried close to the bod tend to cry less than others.

But what about me? Do moms that wear their babies cry more than those who don’t?
I sure do!

These things put a ton of strain on your back, your neck, your shoulders. Did I mention your back?!
I mean, I’ll put up with the pain because it’s a good kind of pain; it’s for my kid.
Plus, it totally makes me look like an official mom.
And so if I look tired and crazy, people will understand why.


You have got to be kidding me, right?

You can contact them with a quick email letting them know your thoughts on this. I did.

7 comments:

  1. Now I have HEARD IT ALLLLL!!!!!!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lord, that's incredibly lame. If it hurts that much, you're not doing something right! And I suppose all those mamas in Africa, Asia, and South America who wear their babies are just begging for some Motrin :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, that is disgusting. I will contact them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible isn't it? Although, knowing these companies, it isn't surprising really.

    Excellent point anthromama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. though, not often compelled to write 'offcials' with my disagreements...rest assured I went there before posting this comment to you. I am passed my baby days, but abhore the thought of pusing drugs on women - espcecially in this manner. Interesting, indeed that this coincides with 'International Baby Wearing Week', pah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff Trina. They make it nice and easy with their contact form, lol.

    DIY Dad & I were wondering if coinciding with IBW was intentional on their part. Seems highly coincidental if not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did write. Thanks for posting the link to make it so easy.

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.