Thursday, October 23

it's all in the head

After three weeks of tortuous night sleeps with my little wildflower, I've now experienced two nights of total hell. The previous night, I couldn't even bring myself to get up and walk her back to sleep, which she's required every night a least once. I lay there with her on my chest and rocked like an idiot. By some fortune she made do with that and eventually drifted off.

The hell is that she's currently waking me every hour. I probably manage about 30mins sleep and then she wakes me. Sometimes she wants water, then it's milk time, and many other times she's just restless. And these last weeks she's begun to wake fully at least once a night. This entails an average of 1.5 hours between waking and falling back to sleep.


I feel superficial when I tell those who ask how I am that I'm tired. Tired doesn't even begin to cut it. I felt tired as an insomniac.

Co-sleeping at least makes this easier, gawd, if I can use such a word for this experience. But it does mean I only need to reach out the slightest and she's in my in arms.
(that's not me in the photo - I don't wear orange)


I'm annoyingly philosophical about these things, so I just experience it all in The Moment. But now my body is reaching it's limit. Today my head feels like it'll split in two. I even dosed off in the car once yesterday - on a 20 minute drive! But the sad part was breaking into tears at the sheer exhaustion of it all.

Mum's across forums and blogs tell me it'll pass, it's normal, and so forth. Oh, my favourite, sleep when baby sleeps. I would, if I could, but I can't.
But as an intuitive parent, something just hasn't felt quite right. Hubby (who prefers not to wake during the night) says she's simply taken after me - an insomniac.

Then on one forum a mother mentioned getting chiropractic treatment for her 7mth old son, and that his sleep improved after it. Earthenwitch mentioned cranial sacral therapy for her little one. Hmmm... how interesting to read such a thing in the space of two days.

I remember discussing CS therapy back when I was studying reflexology. I even recall now how I heard several stories about the benefits to children and even very young babies. Apparently it's so gentle it can be performed on a newborn right after birth.

So in my sleep-deprived state, there I was googleing cranial sacral therapy for sleep disorders. I stumbled across a page written by a therapist where she went into details about what to look for in a baby. Bloody hell, it's like she was describing our little wildflower.


Inter cranial membranes that surround the brain may also be restricted or compressed, causing cranial bones to be misaligned which causes many painful and disruptive symptoms within the whole body.
Causes of intercranial pressure may be due to; In utero pressure of fetus in positions where they are unable to move, C-section delivery, Head shape, due to genetics or birth experience...
http://www.bridgebodyalchemy.com/articles.html

The circumstances that I included above are mine/ours.



that's not the little wildflower

These pressures can cause a number of problems for children such as:
  • Emotional and physical stress, including angry, distraught, unsettled children.
  • Sleep disorders
  • Poor co-ordination and poor concentration.
  • Head banging and tantrums
  • Inappropriate social behaviours such as hitting, biting, screaming
  • Earaches
  • Sinus problems
  • A weakened immune system, more susceptible to illnesses
  • Poor social skills
  • Asthma and respiratory problems
  • Poor reflexes and inability to crawl properly or go through developmental movements that help to balance and co-ordinate intellectual, social and motor skills.
  • Learning disabilities
  • Teeth grinding
  • Autistic behaviours
  • Attention deficit and hyperactivity, etc.

Hubby slowly looked up from his newspaper football news suddenly perked up and asked, "So, do we go back to England afterall?"

We had tentatively planned to visit family in January, but the cost of the flights is too much for us at this time, what with building the homestead.

But now we have a new, and best ever, incentive.

My friend Mrs Maple Leaf suggested going straight to the local airport's website and going through all the airlines for the best price. So, that's what I'll do after I stop talking to all of you.

Fingers crossed the treatment is somewhere in the ball park of our mesely budget.

...

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I remember those days. My babies neVer slept through the night. I was always exhausted. I often put them in bed with us and contrary to popular belief, that did help all of us get some much needed sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not tried it myself, but I've heard good things about massage for babies.

    From talking with moms of older children, many, many moms who reported their children having sleep problems early in life find that their kids have sensory issues. Babies with sensory issues can get overstimulated and find it hard to sleep. At the opposite end of the spectrum, they may want more stimulation and can't sleep unless being rocked or walked, or unless they are tight in a blanket or have physical contact with another person.

    Some infants can't even sleep without a light on or music playing.

    I hope you find a way to get enough sleep soon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My second daughter was a difficult sleeper and started improving by the time she was about 4 1/2. I seriously considered cranial sacral(sp?) therapy for her, but right about the same time she seemed to hit a turning point and started sleeping all night.

    Those days of bone weary exhaustion are the worst. I can totally sympathize with you.

    My third does this weird thing now. She's 3 1/2 and doesn't generally sleep though the night either. She wakes up in the middle of the night every few weeks and then cries and cries and asks to nurse, but pops off after only a few seconds and requests the other side and repeats this same thing. I end up giving her chamomile homeopathic remedy and after about 25 minutes she finally tires of crying and then sometimes I can get her to pee and she falls asleep. It seems to me like some weird variation on a night terror, because I really think she is not conscious even though she appears to be.

    Sorry to hijack your post with my own sleep issues!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Lily didn't really sleep. I remember writing in my journal: How can a little baby survive on two hours of sleep a night?!?!?!

    Plus, she was way high maintenance. Rocking, nursing, pacing...I clearly remember having a very nonsensical conversation with the tiles on the kitchen floor one night in my stupor.

    But what they say is true: It DOES pass. The timing is different for everyone, but eventually, they all sleep. They have to. And when they do, its like the sky cracks open and gives you a new life all over again...just hang in there, mama...

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.