Saturday, October 25

Green Meme #1

I'm not really a meme person (ok, I admit I'm a quiz junkie). Not because I dislike them, but simply because I have too many thoughts in my head that I want to blog about and my blogging space is thereby limited. Basically, I talk too much.

But I admit I end up reading personal memes. That is, memes that tell me something about the blogger. I wanted to know about my fellow green bloggers so I considered coming up with a green meme. In fact a green meme system that will hopefully become community driven.

So here's the first meme.

Guidelines:
1) Link to Green Meme Bloggers.
2) Link to whoever tagged you.
3) Include meme number
4) Include these guidelines in your post
5) Answer questions
6) Tag 3 other green bloggers.


Green Meme #1


1) Name two motivations for being green?

I dislike waste and ugliness. Nevermind the extreme green measures some of us take, just not using plastic bags makes for cleaner environments. It just seems really lazy to not be green in some areas.
I am saddened by cruelty. Many of our choices impact on animals. Have you seen what they find out in the middle of the oceans? Sea birds choking on toothbrushes. That's just plain crazy to me.

2) Name 2 eco-UNfriendly items you refuse to give up?
The family car. I walk whenever possible, but some places are just too far. We do aim for smaller cars.

Bottled water. I know, I know. But the water here isn't of a good quality.

3) Are you at peace with or do you feel guilty about number 2?

I'm okay with the car. I'm not okay with the water, but I know it's a health issue so I don't beat myself up about it.

4) What are you willing to change but feel unable to/stuck with/unsure how to go about it?

The bottled water! I think that on our new homestead I'll be able to boil the well water during the winter because the wood oven will always be on. And we have a spring nearby from which I could collect water. We'll see how that goes.

5) Do you know your carbon footprint for your home? If so, is it larger/smaller than your national average? (http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx)
Yep. It's VERY much smaller than the national average

6) What's eco-frustrating and/or eco-fantastic about where you live?
Oh boy, where do I begin? Living in an Eastern European country, the biggest problem is probably the lack of any recycling system in place. What makes it really frustrating is that the recycling bins around town seem to be for tourist impressions only. We've seen them empty the bottles and paper into ordinary garbage trucks along with the rest of the trash.

On the positive side, they are aiming at an eco-state. They know the small country relies on tourism and the best thing going for it is the wild beauty. I'm relying on the political and economic greed to see this through.

7) Do you eat local/organic/vegetarian/forage/grow your own?

I used to be vegan but my body needs meat (high protein to be exact) to feel right. I forgae and wildcraft, grow my own as much as possible, and buy local produce.

8) What do you personally find the most challenging in being green?

Travelling is a tough one. I know the impact flights have on global pollution, but travellig is very important to us. I feel guilty about it because it's a luxury and not necessary. But I travel to connect to and learn from other cultures, and this is something vital to who I am.

9) Do you have a green confession?

Okay, here goes. Most of my friends and blogger buddies are surprised to learn that I use disposable diapers. *hangs head in shame*. Well, I use them only 30% of the time. The rest of the time it's cloth diapers. Mostly it's because of water issues where we live, partly because I don't have enough of them, and I confess that a little is for convenience.

10) Do you have the support of family and/or friends?

I think seeing the ugliness of dumped roadside garbage and animals suffering has made the difference in gaining the Mr's support.

I find that friends struggle with it, albeit quietly (mostly). I feel that people get very defensive about their own choices, or frustrated with me because I choose not to partake in something because I find it too eco-unfriendly. I never preach and leave people to their own choices, but people tend to feel more comfortable around others who are like themselves.

I'm tagging:
Michelle at theadventuresofsupermom, Lisa at The Tardy Homemaker, Docwitch at The Dark Side of the Broom, and heck, as it's the first meme, I'll add a new find, Marcy at life is good.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mon. Great answers! And I will have a go at this. I'm not a big meme person either, but this looks like a good one.
    I've been thinking about my green choices and priorities a lot lately, so it's very timely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers, I just posted mine. My family and I too have been battling the water issue (I have posted about it on my blog). We just installed an undersink filter & stainless steel water bottles --- most bottled water is just as bad if not worse than tap and then there is the plastic! I DO NOT claim to be an expert but I did post a bunch of links and information on my blog: http://fiveflowermom.blogspot.com/2008/10/drinking-water-dilemma.html

    I look forward to exploring your blog some more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah and I just wanted to comment that boiling water can be good for some things BUT it can also concentrate other chemicals in the water! Just FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to get to know you a bit more through your answers to these questions. Now I will have to go exploring some more on your blog to find out which E. European country you live in, and where you're from originally. I've been to Prague, Bratislava and Budapest in E. Europe, and I loved experiencing the cultures there. That was in 1993 so just after communism and before much "Americanization".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Doc - still waitin' for ya.

    Amy - nice to meet you. Enjoying comparing green issues from your blog. See you there.

    Hey Lisa - ah, which country, there's a mystery, lol. Yes, it has Americanised a greta deal. But some of the better aspects still exist - friendlier people, lower crime, healthier food by default, child-friendly...

    ReplyDelete

No comment is too long or short around here.


Comment moderation on posts older than 7 days.